Thursday, September 23, 2010

Every Single Word

Psalm 119:160 "All your words are true; all your righteous laws are eternal."

The way I chose this verse is somewhat interesting. As I read the first 8 verses of this section of Psalm 119, for the first time since I have been writing these devotions in Psalms since the beginning of the year, no verse was resonating with me and I felt like I didn't have anything to share. Not that all the verses in the Bible are not valuable and precious, after all, look at the verse I ended up choosing. Now read what happened and how.

I am sure that there are countless observations and teachings that can be sifted and applied from this section. But, literally I was stymied. So I turned the page to look at the next section and lo and behold there was one more verse on the next page, verse 9. Not only did it resonate with me because I was stymied and needed to be reminded of the value of the truth of every word of scripture, but it showed me again how I need to turn the page in life, especially when I feel stymied.

Isn't God wonderful in the way He shows us His grace and truth? I really wanted to finish this section and was almost rushing through it, because I have only a little time before my writing window closes. I was just a little frustrated and was ready to combine two sections or blow over this one. I thought to myself, no one will even notice. What a great lesson for me. Truth is on the way, don't worry, don't panic, don't try to work around it, just turn the page and breathe. That verse, by the way, has always been there. In every other Bible, I use it is not on the next page, it is on the same page. But, for some reason today, God permitted me to be in this particular Bible and to be in the positon I am in to share what I needed to share.

Let's make the most important point again. Every word in the Word is true, even if I can't see the profundity of it right now. Even if I am stymied, God's truth is not. I just need to turn the page, after all, the Truth is going to be there for eternity isn't it? Now for the really interesting kicker to the devotional today. Now that I am almost done with this devotional, I am rereading the first 8 verses and a whole slew of ideas come to me. Every verse and most the words are jumping off the page at me with rich illustration and special application. Hmmmm. What do you make of that? That means that we should more often reread a passage and that understanding the Word is indeed a spiritual experience and not just a matter of trying to do a devotional on the next section because it is the next section. I am glad that I can still learn, aren't you? As you read the Bible, take the time to be real with yourself and watch what God can reveal.

In His Word, Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment