Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Nothing New

Psalm 119:152 "Long ago I learned from your statutes that you established them to last forever."

The truth is not new. Sure, my growing understanding of it freshens up regularly and my faith in it and practice of it are ever maturing, but the truth itself has always been here. God didn't have to create it. He always has been you see and He is the truth. The truth is as pre-existent as He is. His truth has been here forever and will be here forever. I like to think like this because it keeps me looking at everything from an objective perspective. Doing so increases my faith.

Recently, I was thinking about the fact that I have been a follower of Jesus Christ as my Savior for more than 47 years. That is a considerable stretch of time. I haven't taken any breaks from that commitment over the years either. God certainly hasn't ever quit on me and other than a few fleeting doubts at times of testing my faith, neither have I. The same truth that I believed in originally is the same truth that I believe in today. My understanding is deeper and richer, but the truth is the same. He that saved me is He that still is guiding me today and by the same truth that will someday unite me with Him forever.

His truth not only does not change it also does not fade. The same truth that set me free is the same truth that keeps me free. The same God that began revealing Himself to me as a young boy and confirmed Himself in me as a young teen is the same God that is helping me write this right now as a man. He hasn't changed and His Truth has not changed. This is so reassuring. Everything else is sure in flux and up for grabs. Our wonderful country seems to be changing and not for the better. Our family keeps going through changes, but as long as we put Him first and rely on His truth, we will do what we should do, whatever happens. Our world is changing extremely fast too, and not for the better also. Everything but God and His truth is in flux. No wonder we should hang on to Him.

Grace Harbor Church and School are changing. People come, go, come back and even go again. People pass through, others take root, and at the same time, others uprooted and new ones planted. Just like in my family, as long as we put Him first and rely on the truth we will do what we should do too, whatever happens. My faith or feelings are not reliant on a stability that comes from any other source other than His truth. The same amazing God and truth that drove me to my knees as a young man and overwhelmed me completely is the same amazing God and truth that drives me to my knees as Pastor of Grace Harbor Church and School and still overwhelms me today. Nothing new at all about the truth. I indeed need renewal, just like you, but the Truth always stays the same. God is perfectly faithful and I am working on it. Keep the faith, my friends, based on His unchanging truth.

Still His, just like always, Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment