Wednesday, December 26, 2012

What He Does

"Let them know that you, whose name is the LORD-- that you alone are the Most High over all the earth." Psalm 83:18

This is the last of the Psalms penned by Asaph. I think I know exactly how he feels. I know sometimes I feel like calling on the wrath of God to come down. How about His justice rolling down, or God to pull out the big guns and show everybody a thing or two. Just like He did with the Egyptians in the Red Sea, just like He did with satan during the temptation and just like He will do regarding everything, eventually. Oooooh… How I'd love to see Him get even or take care of business. What a day that would be.

But, when I think about it and who He is and His plan to redeem, I really don't want anyone to have a tent peg driven through their head or to be beheaded or shamed or burnt or blown away. Read the rest of this short Psalm... remember some of these folks from Judges? I really don't want anyone to be pursued or terrified. I really don't want anyone to perish either. Isn't that God's heart? Of course it is.

After all is vented, said and expressed, Asaph ends with verse 18. I too, want everyone to know that He is who He says He is, that His Name is Jesus and that He is the Most High over all the earth. May everyone come to the saving grace of Christ. Certainly judgment awaits those who don't turn to Him. But may God's mercy be rich and His grace convincing so that all could be saved.

If Asaph really wanted to get even or worse, he wouldn't have suggested that they know anything, much less that He alone is God. But, if the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom then may people wise up even if it takes fear. But please God, You desire mercy and not sacrifice. May Your mercy be extensive and may every man, woman and child come to You. This is my prayer. This is my cry. Lord, make me an instrument of Your good-news to share Your love with anyone I can before Your justice comes. May we all reach out to spread the Word that He lives, He saves, He loves and He redeems and He restores.

Would you join me in that heartfelt prayer today? His, Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment