Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Delightfulness

"If the Lord delights in a man's way, He makes his steps firm; though he stumble, he will not fall, for the Lord upholds him with His hand." Psalm 37:23

Let's face it, sometimes we are just gonna find the pothole, slip, or trip, or mess up because after all, we are human, right? Absolutely, if you are not human today you can just go ahead and ascend and leave the rest of us behind. David says that even if the Lord is delighting in us and He makes our steps firm, we may still stumble. Ahhhh, but we will not fall for the Lord will uphold us with His hand. This is so encouraging to me.

I know in my own life, I can certainly get in a frame of mind even when the Lord is ordering my steps that I am not watching where I am going or what I am doing, and mindlessly get in trouble or off course. This seems to have something to do with me being related to the first guy and his wife and you know their story. When I feel like a failure I try to remember what kind of woulda, coulda, shouldas Adam and Eve must have gone through.

The important part of this verse is the promise that when we do stumble, and we will, we don't have to fall. I mean fall like crash and burn, hit bottom or self-destruct. I like the part about the Lord delighting in me and it reminds me to delight in Him. I am thinking that when I delight in Him, He delights in me. Makes sense. Then I seem to take His hand, watch my step and pay attention to what is going on. Less likely to stumble under those conditions.

Throw into this formula our enemy the devil, who pushes us, makes potholes and when he can he likes to get two of us tangled up together for some real fun. He is such a liar. By the way he is the consummate failure and because he won't repent he must believe that misery loves company. But my God upholds me with His hand and the devil never rests from trying to dissuade God's children that their heavenly Father has everything under control. He'll even get us to take control and that usually gets the stumbling going.

So today I am going to delight in Him and hang on for dear life because life is full of hurdles, obstacles and potholes and knowing the way I can be I will try to pay attention to what the Lord is saying and how He is guiding and what He is doing, instead of being so headstrong about doing everything myself in my own power. God is so much better than I am of getting me from Point A to Point B. Even better if I let him establish Point A and Point B to begin with.

I hope you have a delightful day. Be careful out there. Put your trust in Him and hang on tight. Watch your step. Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment