Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Walk in the Word

"in you I trust, O my God. Do not let me be put to shame, nor let my enemies triumph over me." Psalm 25:2

We have been singing parts of this particular Psalm in Worship recently; and I know it is especially precious to a few of you because it addresses deep issues, deep needs, and the depths of God’s promises to us to pardon us, guide us, remember us, and protect us. An interesting fact about the Psalms is that the word enemies is spoken about in 72 of them. Enemies are not only those who oppose us, but also anything that opposes God’s standards, principles or teachings. In other words, all of our temptations, weaknesses and lusts, like pride, greed, power and control. Our greatest enemy is Satan, and of course ourselves, when we choose to be persuaded by him. Frankly, I most often read David’s writings and think of enemies as those people who wanted to destroy him and yet it never was anyone who actually put him at risk as much as his own passions and self-centeredness. Probably true for all of us. I believe we all fall victims to our own folly and blame it on outside forces when almost all our real battles are fought between our ears. Don’t get me wrong, the devil will use whatever means, from within or without to steal our joy, ruin our witness or stifle our spiritual development. But, when we give in or give up the process is simplified. So many of us are prone to self-destruct, which means Satan need not get involved. You see, when the world and the flesh trip us up so easily, the devil pretty much leaves us be. So what do we do? We do what David did…… really make a daily, moment by moment effort to be conscious of the battle, our weaknesses, His promises and the power we have in Him to be obedient, disciplined and righteous.

Let me draw attention to two phrases from Psalm 25 that gives us a peek into how David dealt with himself as a man after God’s own heart, who also struggled. Verses 4 & 5 show me your ways, teach me your paths and guide me in your truth. Pointed question #1 Are you in the Word? Without it you are hiking, in the dark, map-less, by choice, in enemy territory. Pointed questions #2 Are you making an honest, heartfelt effort to "walk the walk"? Integrity and uprightness will indeed help us most. Uprightness will make us learn God’s requirements and Integrity, being what we say we are, will keep us walking the walk.

The battle goes on. Victory is in Him.

His, Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment