Monday, October 22, 2012

Makes No Difference Who You Are

"How priceless is your unfailing love! Both high and low among men find refuge in the shadow of your wings." Psalm 36:7

If you know me, you know that I don't often quote people but today there is a quote rattling around in my mind as I read through Psalm 36 that I can't resist. I think it was Jiminy Cricket who said, "Makes no difference who you are." Granted, that may be taken a little out of context because he was singing about wishing on a star, right? This is a practice that I don't encourage, but the truth within the fantasy is still true. It really does not make a difference who you are, when you trust in God's grace. You could be the most awful person in the world (by the way I am not taking a poll on who you think that is :) or you could be the most wonderful person in world (no voting for yourself :) ... it really makes no difference who you are.

The shadow of the wings of the Almighty can cover the best and worst of us, which means that it can cover every one of us in our best and worst moments. I know I've had some glorious moments and some inglorious ones too. That is what makes His unfailing love so priceless because it is only what can cover our worthlessness and our worthiness. Remember that our worthiness isn't worth much anyway. But His love, that never, never fails was proven by the most valuable sacrifice ever made.

So, back to Jiminy Cricket for a moment. Whether Pinocchio was being a little wooden liar or a real honest boy, it made no difference as long as he was being honest with himself. You see, when we see ourselves honestly, that can be a pretty overwhelming self-discovery. I suggest you not look too closely without the Lord's help and grace. Whether high or low or in between God sees us like we really are. I like the words that put it this way.... God sees us through and through, and loves us still and all. Today, I am encouraged by these words. You see David caught himself going off about how wicked everybody can be and had a moment of clarity and put that scary thought into perspective with his own tendencies. In verse 9 David shares that with God is the fountain of life and in His light we see the light.

Whenever I get to feeling kind of detached from this big, bad, ugly world, I always have to remember that I am part of it. Keeps me in perspective, too. Makes no difference who I think I am or who I really am. I am just really truly grateful for His priceless and unfailing love that sees me through my highs and lows and provides me with a refuge and I like how I feel in the shadow of His wings.

Take care today everybody, remember He loves you and so do I. Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment