Wednesday, October 21, 2015

“Whaddya Mean?” Devotion by Pastor Fred Snider

"He said to them: "It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by his own authority. But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you, and you will be witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth." Acts 1:7-8

I know when we are not sure we like or need time to think about what we just heard we might ask, "whaddya mean?" I am not particularly fond of that question. As a parent, my stock response was... "I mean what I say and say what I mean." Eventually such conversations often ended with my question, "What part of NO don't you understand?"

In this passage they don't ask any questions. Probably because Jesus ascends immediately, and formulating questions might have been trumped by feelings of shock and awe. Not only was Jesus not going to restore the kingdom, He was actually giving them a big job. A really big job…The Great Commission. He wasn't asking either. He told them flat out that they and all believers were to be empowered, and then go witness to the whole world. I know we don't like NO for an answer. But, I think we struggle with GO even more.

So, our Heavenly Father might add.... "What part of GO don't you understand?" The correct answer is not "whaddya mean?"

Let's GO!!
Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment