Monday, June 17, 2013

I am Just a Man

"As Peter entered the house, Cornelius met him and fell at his feet in reverence. But Peter made him get up. "Stand up." he said, "I am only a man myself." Acts 10:25-26

How can you not love Peter? Not only is he passionate and disciplined, he is also sincere and humble. Here he is in the house of a Gentile, just recently having the epiphany of the concept of human equality in a vision from God, and he has the depth of character to do the right thing, at the right time, for the right reason. Just think what else he could have said. "Yes my son, you can kiss my ring? No, not even close to anything like that. I guess he could have put his hands on the shoulders of Cornelius and given him a wordy blessing. Instead, he very graciously and humbly has Cornelius stand up, and eye to eye says to him, "I am only a man myself." Wow! This changes everything. You see, Peter has learned humility. Peter wanted most of all to know and do what God's desire was for him. He sure is a different man than the angry zealot who cut off the ear of Malchus. He is definitely a transformed man from the denier who heard the rooster crow. He is even a more mature man than the fisherman who jumped out of the boat and into the water and swam ahead of the others to get to Jesus on the shore. He is not only the "everyman", as he has been called; he is the man that every man can learn from. Why? Because Peter is a man who understands that he is only a man. Like Cornelius, like you, like me. We cannot be reminded too many times of our humanity. For from that understanding blooms true spirituality. God bless you for reading and considering this today.

Just a man myself,
Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment