Monday, June 3, 2013

I Will Show Him

"But the Lord said to Ananias, "Go! This man is my chosen instrument to proclaim my name to the Gentiles and their kings and to the people of Israel. I will show him how much he must suffer for My Name." Acts 9:15-16

When Paul was blinded on the road to Damascus, he saw a vision of Ananias touching his eyes and his sight restored. Ananias’ first reaction was to resist because of the trouble Saul was bringing on the early church. God knew exactly what He was doing. Saul was going to be used as an instrument of God to reach the Gentiles and their kings. That is exactly what he did eventually. God assured Ananias that Saul would be shown how much he must suffer for the Lord’s name. This must have been a tough thing to hear. Sure, we all like to see bad guys get it, and victimizers, victimized. I sometimes wince at how we can be so vindictive, without much consideration for God’s justice or plan. We call for judgment and jump on the bandwagon for ultimate punishment, and the toughest consequences. We say, “Hang em high”, and “stone them”, especially if their crimes are heinous or violent, cruel or have been committed against the defenseless. I have done it, too. Recently, we have heard the gruesome details of those who have wreaked unthinkable havoc, pain and senseless injury, and even death on bystanders, children and the innocent. It is baffling that God chooses yet another troublemaker to be His chosen Instrument. Why this vengeful Pharisee? Why not a guy with a stellar reputation? God has His reasons and Saul (Paul) did indeed suffer. Saul was hated, blamed, not trusted, and made the example by all of how being a true Christian costs everything. He paid dearly and counted it as joy, because Paul knew his sin and understood the payment of Christ’s life and blood for it. He was despised by all and gave it everything anyway. Both Jews and Christians loathed him. He suffered greatly. I guess God did indeed show him and I am so glad he had his eyes opened.

Right now, I am thanking God that vengeance is His and that He has shown me His mercy and grace.

Humbly,
Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment