Thursday, June 13, 2013

The Dorcas Circle

"In Joppa there was a disciple named Tabitha (which, when translated, is Dorcas) who was always doing good and helping the poor. About that time she became sick and died, and her body was washed and placed in an upstairs room. Lydda was near Joppa, so when the disciples heard that Peter was in Lydda, they sent two men to him and urged him, "Please come at once!" Peter went with them, and when he arrived he was taken upstairs to the room. All the widows stood around him, crying and showing him the robes and other clothing that Dorcas had made while she was still with them. Peter sent them all out of the room; then he got down on his knees and prayed. Turning toward the dead woman, he said, "Tabitha, get up." She opened her eyes, and seeing Peter she sat up. He took her by the hand and helped her to her feet. Then he called the believers and the widows and presented her to them alive. This became known all over Joppa, and many people believed in the Lord." Acts 9:36-42


In the first church I remember attending there was a group of women who called themselves the Dorcas Circle. They sewed items for missionaries around the world and helped the poor. They were the heart and soul of First Baptist Church of San Fernando. Their passion for ministry was deep and loving. As a young teen, all I could think about this group was that they had such a weird name. My buddies and I would tease each other about how some of us should be in the "Dorcas Circle", because we were "dorks". Every time we heard of what they were doing, we made jokes about why would anybody name themselves that? Then, as we were studying the Book of Acts we came across the story. Well, needless to say the jokes stopped. But, we did wonder why they didn’t call themselves the Tabitha Circle. We figured it was because Dorcas is what her friends called her and these ladies from our church were close friends.

Over the years as members of this group got older and passed away, I could not help but think about the original Dorcas, and how she was such an excellent seamstress and helped the poor. Then she died and was raised from the dead. Wow! Well, curiosity got the best of me and I finally asked one of the remaining members of the Dorcas Circle how it was that they decided on the name and what the story meant to them. What I was about to hear has stayed with me all these years. Anna Longfield, who was my first Sunday School Teacher, said to me...."We believe that God keeps us alive so we can serve Him until we go to be with Him." You could have knocked me over with a feather. I couldn't even respond. You see, I was 15 and immortal. A few years later Anna passed away and her words came back to me and have never left me. I have totally come to agree with her over the years and know that God keeps me alive so I can serve Him until I go to be with Him. I bet that was the attitude that Dorcas had too.

So, what about you? Why are you here? Are you over how weird some names sound? Are you able to think ahead and consider that someday you won't be here anymore? Those grand ladies of First Baptist Church of San Fernando..... Edith, Zonella, Anna and others had a part in who I am. They set an example of service to the Lord and why we do it. I hope their example touches your heart today. Ask yourself this question. Why does God keep you alive?

Now, serve Him with me today,
Pastor Fred

1 comment:

  1. If I'm being honest, then I have to answer the question you posed with this - sometimes, I really just don't know. Why DOES God keep me alive when, on many days, I feel as though I've done nothing of kingdom value? Then again, maybe just being here and saying "I love you" to my husband and son is enough and all I was supposed to accomplish on any given day. Maybe some days, when I'm wondering why God is keeping me alive because I don't see where or how I'm being used by Him, I'm actually being used the most. Perhaps it's not about what I can see in the natural, but what I don't see in the spiritual. I haven't helped the poor today. Or yesterday. Or any other day this week. But...I have fought to maintain God's standards for my life in a more secular environment. I have brought mealtime prayer into an environment where it otherwise wouldn't be prayed. I have spoken His praise in the face of scoffers, and I haven't failed to tuck my little one in with prayer even amidst the distractions of new people, places, and things. Perhaps God is keeping me alive for these little everyday things. Perhaps to me they're just what needs to be done and not a big deal, but perhaps to God they're actually mighty and precious reasons to keep me alive. Perhaps...

    ReplyDelete