Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Up on the Roof

"About noon the following day as they were on their journey and approaching the city, Peter went up on the roof to pray." Acts 10:9

This is another devotional thought about a passage of Scripture that illustrates an important principle in the daily walk of faith. The Bible does not make it clear where Peter was exactly, but wherever he was he had access to somebody's roof and decided to use it to get away to pray. I cannot express how important this is for our spiritual growth. Back in the 60's there was a song, written by Carole King and sung by The Drifters, called “Up on the Roof”, hence the title of this writing. The words go something like this.....

"When this old world starts getting me down, and people are just too much for me to take. I climb way up to the top of the stairs and all my cares just drift right into space. On the roof it's peaceful as can be, and there the world below can't bother me...... Up on the roof....."

(I can hear some of you singing it now) Peter knew what the Drifters were going to sing about, didn't he? He knew that sometimes in order to find peace, or to pray, you have to get away. You have to get alone. Many of us as young people have retreated to the roof for solace, isolation and peace, or just to air out. Just a place to be free from everything and everyone and think..... or pray. You never get too old to need some "roof time".

What happens for Peter up on the roof is amazing. God shows him a life-changing vision. A world-impacting vision that illustrated that Christianity was for everybody on the planet. Maybe it is not the roof for you. Maybe it is just some time at the Lost Bean, (a coffee place next to Grace Harbor). Maybe it is the coast, anywhere in view of the water. (That is definitely my "roof") You may prefer the woods or a closet or a park. It can be anywhere, just so you stay true to why you go there and really be there. Sometimes it is as simple as closing your eyes. Whatever it is, wherever it is, we all need it more than we get it.

Peter had a lot going on in his life. He had recently been used to do the miraculous. His life was ever in danger. He was also trying to respond to a bazillion needs and requests. He needed to go up on the roof and clear his head. As soon as he did, God came and then he saw something that has impacted the world ever since. We miss way too many opportunities to connect with God because we don't get some place where it can happen more easily. I write some devotionals and most sermons in view of the ocean. As I am writing this one, and I wrote the line about closing our eyes.... I did and it gave me such immediate peace. I am doing it now as I type. Wow, I ought to do this more often. Don't laugh at me, try it.

Peter was very spontaneous and passionate about his faith. As he matured in His walk, he also learned to be disciplined. As odd as it may sound that he went up on the roof to pray, how special was that? I hope you will do something special today when you pray. Try something different to initiate some time with God. Get away, close your eyes, breathe deep, go up on the roof. When you do, God can speak to you and show you things.

Closing my eyes again, with His love,
Pastor Fred

1 comment:

  1. I can especially relate to this devotional as I search daily for my own "roof" time. My life since May 31 has consisted of hotel stays and road time. If I'm not in a hotel, I'm on the road traveling back and forth between St. Louis, MO to northeastern Arkansas to Kansas City and back and forth all over again. My alone time has become non-existent and I even found myself eyeing the hotel bathtub this morning as a possible "roof" time retreat location. Though I didn't see how I could comfortably spread out my devotionals, Bible, and notebook in the confines of a narrow tub, I concluded that it might be the only way for now...perhaps I could put a "Do not Disturb" sign on the door for a time? Maybe the Lord will graciously hold my husband and son's bladders while I pray?

    In any case, I'm aware now more than ever of my need for this quiet, reflective prayer time with my sweet Savior. It was always so easy within the walls of "home" back in California, but the Lord is showing my that "home" is not some brick building in any given state; home is in His arms, independent of my physical and geographical location, and to just be alone with Him is sometimes a fight against the chaos and distractions of the world. So today? I fight, for He is so very very worth it.

    ReplyDelete