Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Conflicting Truths

"They disagreed among themselves and began to leave after Paul had made this final statement: “The Holy Spirit spoke the truth to your forefathers when he said through Isaiah the prophet: 'Go to this people and say, "You will be ever hearing but never understanding: you will be ever seeing but never perceiving": for this people's heart has become calloused: they hardly hear with their ears and they have closed their eyes. Otherwise they might see with their eyes, hear with their ears, understand with their hearts and turn, and I would heal them." Acts 28:25-27

I find these words not only convicting but indicting. Oh how the people of America are similar to the people of Israel in that day. We too have heard for a long time and have not understood. We too have seen for a long time and have closed our eyes. If we would open our eyes and ears and hear and see what God is saying and showing us, we would understand with our hearts and turn and be healed.

Recently I have been struggling with an attitude problem. I think it came from calloused pride. When you get calloused, you stop feeling the pain and grow insensitive to what you are doing or saying. During some times of reflection I was able with His help to remove the calluses and feel what I was doing afresh. Wow, how convicting.

As I was able to hear and see again, my heart was touched anew with compassion and a renewed heart. It was not a very easy experience, but it was liberating. The best part of it was the turning of my heart. That could not happen until the calluses were dealt with. In these verses, Paul is describing the closed ears, eyes and minds of some of the Jews. The reason I had for my inability to turn or change was the same as theirs. It was pride. I could not admit that I was wrong, just like them. The healing that has come to my hardened heart has been a relief. After the initial change of heart and confession of pride, the rest just fell into place. It was beautiful, really.

As you reread these words, what comes to your mind that you may be calloused about? What does the Holy Spirit speak to you about what you don't want to see or hear about you? For me, I was hanging onto something I wanted to let go of, but my pride prohibited me from seeing it. There were no excuses, I just didn't want to deal with it. But, now I have. What a relief. Hope this helps somebody today to deal with their calloused heart.

Grateful for His Grace and Healing,
Pastor Fred




No comments:

Post a Comment