Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Continuou​s Prayer

"We always thank God for all of you, mentioning you in our prayers. We continually remember before our God and Father...." 1Thessalonians 1:2-3a

As we study the Word of God more and more we can begin to see themes arising in the verses. Reading, studying and loving the Scriptures can give us richer understandings of the truth as we build precept on precept and principle upon principle. Paul is sharing his thankfulness for the Thessalonians as he writes to them these opening verses of the two letters he pens to them. Note that he says of prayer that it is always and continually. That is why we should in effect strive to pray without ceasing.

Prayers should often be on our lips. Prayer is not exclusively an act so much as it is a state of mind. Sure we should pray specifically and even regularly, but there is also a type of prayer that is constantly going on in our minds. A kind of ongoing connectedness to Him. As if it is a perpetual conversation with the Lord. A running conversation. This open dialogue with God has been called 'God talk' by some. I like that. Paul sure seems to exercise it.

I am confident that not all of these prayers are spoken aloud or in groups with others. Don't get me wrong, I am also confident that some of it is, but also that this constancy of prayer is just simply a seamless connection with God. I know we can't literally pray without ceasing, but we should always have a line open to Him. Not just a speaking line, but also a listening line. When we are connected to God like this, we can pick up where we left off, or immediately resume a more direct awareness of our connection with Him.

Paul knows how to always and continually pray. His praying is as much being attuned to God as it is speaking to Him. This consciousness about the ever presence of God is sweet and convicting too. When we practice it we are more conscientious about what we think, and subsequently about what we say. I don't mean to 'hyper spiritualize' prayer. Prayer is talking and listening to God.

For example, I have been praying for someone this morning. They have come to mind several times and I have turned that remembering over to God. So, if someone comes to mind, I immediately connect that to God in my mind. Even if it is just a few words. Sometimes I just agree with my own thinking and commit it to the Lord. As I now consider those of you who will read this I am praying for you that you will be blessed and encouraged by these words. Be careful not to systematize prayer so much or to oversimplify it either. Let it flow out of your relationship with God through Christ our Lord.

Prayerfully His,
Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment