Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Appearances

"Stop judging by mere appearances, and make a right judgement." John 7:24

Ever had to make one of those difficult judgement calls? Ever been wrong? If you answered the last question "no", please stop reading because I am not worthy of your time.

Can we go on now? Anyway, I have been wrong a number of times, though I am getting better at admitting it. Recently I have been trying to figure out and understand more of the dynamics of the relationships where I work. Not as easy as you might think, I mean since we are all Christians and are basically decent people (I know, I know, with old sin natures). See, I am not only their leader; I am one of them, which adds a certain twist to the dynamics from time to time. So, what I objectively know for sure is that more often than not, things are not as they appear. As a matter of fact, I really have to take several long hard looks at everything and all the dynamics, before I conclude much of anything. I am painfully aware that too often personal agendas come before corporate goals, that is for sure. We all must 'call em as we see em' as umpires say. Before we do though we must get by the mere appearance of things and objectively see the big picture and the dynamics of all the workings of all the relationships, simultaneously. Not easy and really not very fun. Especially when people want snap judgements from you, or when at first it seems for sure to appear one way and then you find out it is not that way at all. I find that a deeper look than the surface usually helps. I also find that considering agendas, and motives, and relational dynamics leads to a better assessment of what is really happening. I so dislike reading a situation wrong and speaking too soon. I have done this recently and had to relearn some of my own principles of assessment.

Judging is discouraged but sometimes necessary as Christians. I have heard it said that we are more to be "fruit inspectors" than character or motive judges. So I am taking some fruit inspection time. After all, the Bible says "by their fruit, you shall know them". Speaking of Christians, of course; whether at your work, or in your family, or at our church or school, when it comes to determining what is really going on. Try to see by the appearances of things and look deeper. Better to wait a bit until some prayerful consideration of what is really happening before we speak or certainly judge. Maybe the judgement would be not to judge, at all. That sounds like a right judgement in most cases. Taking the time necessary to be wise is excellent counsel. If you are often wrong, more time is the key.

Very Prayerfully Yours,
Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment