Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Church Bibles

"Blessed are they whose transgressions are forgiven, whose sins are covered." Romans 4:7
"Blessed is he whose transgressions are forgiven, whose sins are covered." Psalm 32:1

Yes, these two passages of scripture are exactly the same, as are hundreds of other Old Testament quotes used in the New Testament.

Amazing? Yes, it is in the sense that there is such a perfect correlation of truth between the 39 Old Testament Books and the 27 New Testament Books.

Let me tell you how I am aware of this fact today. I am now sitting in the Worship Center at Grace Harbor Church. I am locked out of my office and have some time to work on devotionals. I cannot get to my computer, so I am writing this on my Blackberry phone. I actually write most of the daily devotionals using my texting thumbs as fast as I possibly can go. Not as fast as I can type, but I am going faster and faster, the more practice I get. I remember when I first started texting, wow, was I ever slow, and so many mistakes too. Now I am quicker.

Since I am locked out of my office. (My keys are on my desk ) I am sure you know how this happens. I loaned my keys to someone who put them on my desk, then someone else locked Natalie’s office, and of course, my key to my office and Natalie's office are on my desk. You get the picture.

Therefore, I grab a Church Bible to use as a resource for this devotional. I open to Romans and notice at the bottom of the page just how many Old Testament quotes Paul is using. I start leafing through the Bible pages and I am astonished that every book of the Old Testament is quoted in the New Testament. There are literally hundreds of New Testament verses that are direct quotes from the Old Testament. In addition, there are countless indirect quotes also. So what does this tell me? God concealed the New Testament in the Old Testament and revealed the Old Testament in the New Testament.

That truth is as important to validating the authenticity of Scripture as the verse I chose to illustrate with blessing our hearts with a reminder of what a blessing it is to be forgiven by the covering of Jesus’ bloodshed on the cross. The fact that redemption was concealed in the Old then revealed in the New boosts my faith tremendously. I challenge you to not only read the Bible for meaning within the verses, but also for meaning in the way that the Two Testaments are woven together by a scarlet thread.

In His Word With You,
Pastor Fred

1 comment:

  1. I love this! Though I'm sorry you got locked out of your office, I'm grateful that God led you to use your time for serving us by serving Him. Great devotional! My personal favorite statement is this - "God concealed the New Testament in the Old Testament and revealed the Old Testament in the New Testament." How deeply profound that is. Thank you for your devotion :)

    ReplyDelete