Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Zeal and Fervor

"Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord." Romans 12:11

I want to take some time breaking this verse down, word by word and phrase by phrase. We commonly say to never say never, but when it comes to encouraging us to keep on keeping on, Paul says we shouldn't ever lack in zeal. We are never done, never finished.

As long as we have breath we should be able to dig deeper and go for some more. I should always be willing and able to summon my wherewithal and be ready to do whatever is necessary. I can always give or do a little bit more. Very rarely am I so empty that I must stop. Never do I believe that God can't take me another step or another day. My very life is in His hands and He can pull me through. So many times I thought I was finished and somehow I found more. My zeal is not based on my assessment of my capability, but on His ability to use me beyond my capacity. I may not think I can, but I still at the same time know He can.

Our fervor for the Lord, or our energy + our availability to do His will at any time is based on Him enabling me, not on me enabling me. He is the key. He can do all things through me; therefore, I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. He is the keeper of the spark that feeds His fire in me. He keeps me in Him as long as I don't quench His fire or snuff His spark. Even if I do at first, He can still fire me up. Remember, when God sends fire, He can set wet stuff ablaze. He can make dry bones live again and He can raise the dead. So, of course He can do whatever I have the faith of even a little mustard seed to allow.

My willingness and His mightiness can accomplish whatever He desires. All I must do is try and by faith trust in His power and He can do whatever it is. I love the last of this verse. "Never be lacking in zeal", that part we understand the surrender needed. "But keep your spiritual fervor", we know He is always there picking up our lack and slack and keeping our hearts kindled to do His will and accomplish His purposes. The last three words are the key. "Serving the Lord". We just can't stop or quit or give up or not try harder. We must continue serving the Lord, even when we don't feel like it or think we can't or don't want to at the time. Keep on keeping on. That is the key. Never give up! Never surrender! You can do it, you can do it, you can, you can.

God desires us to succeed at His will and will be with us, empower us, keep our fires kindled and our flames lit. Servants of the Lord never run out of zeal or fervor, because it is the Lord who gives us power, light and the ability to serve. He glorifies Himself through us when we allow ourselves to be used for His purposes. I hope this encourages you today to press on, to move forward and to trust Him more and more. Nothing is impossible with God. All things are possible with Him. Whatever He and we can agree on, He can make happen. Keep serving with God-given zeal and fervor and watch Him do the impossible and the miraculous. I anticipate the inevitable, supernatural, intervention of God. I expect a miracle today.

Your fellow servant,
Pastor Fred

1 comment:

  1. Your devotional left me speechless and staring at the screen with mouth wide open. Everything you've said has spoken so directly into some heartbreaking things I'm currently going through and I truly don't have any words beyond thank you. Thank you for always showing up in my life when God knows I need His Word most. You're faithful to deliver my heart's medicine and for that I'm grateful beyond measure. Thank you, Pastor Fred.

    ReplyDelete