Friday, May 31, 2013

Now Get Up

"Now get up and go into the city, and you will be told what you must do." Acts 9:6

Jesus gives Saul a clear directive. No discussion, no need to ask any more questions. Just do what he was told. Wow! I gotta say I like this kind of stuff. In a world that tends not to deal well with authority or directives, it is nice to see subordination exercised appropriately. This is one of those statements that brings back some memories for me; seems that more than once my Dad gave me similar directives.

The one that comes immediately to mind is when I had been avoiding my mom's requests to clean my room for days. Hey, if she wasn't gonna make me do it, why worry? My dad was in the garage and as I was trying to slip out for the day, he said in no uncertain terms, "Meet me in your room in two minutes." I knew better than to question what this was about, so I went quietly. When he came in my room in exactly two minutes I said in my most mature voice, "What?" He said, "Sit down!" I of course did. He then said, "Now...... you are going to do what I say, do you understand?" It was pretty clear, so I nodded. He then said, "Get up and do what your mother wants you to do in this room. Come and get me in 20 minutes and I will determine if it is good enough. Do you understand?" (My dad was really good at this) He added, "When I say it is good enough then you will go to your mother and apologize for not doing it sooner. Do you understand?" Then I said what he wanted me to say, because I knew it was in my best interest. "Yes, sir!" He smiled, patted me on the shoulder and said, "Thank you son". I did the minimum, he disapproved and I did some more, he approved. I apologized and went on my merry way. I often say one of my strong points is that although I was not in the armed services, I was raised by a Marine.

There are many times in life when we just need to do what we are supposed to do. For Saul, this was one of them. Here he is in all his prideful glory, riding on his high horse to Damascus with his almighty letters to persecute believers. God knocks him off his horse, he falls to the ground, realizes who he is talking to and then is told to get up, go to the city and there he will be told what he should do. Beautiful isn't it? Oh, how we fight these breakthrough experiences. Saul's life would be changed forever. Our lives have been greatly impacted by his obedience, ministry and writing. Might I add that the light that flashed on him from heaven blinded him temporarily? Saul had to be led by the hand to Damascus.

I have been humbled quite a few times in my life. I know I will be humbled again. As I sit in my office just now, I am looking at a picture of my Dad and I am so thankful he taught me how to listen and just do what I must do. What about you? If God had your undivided attention what we He say to you? Listen, if you do you will find out what you must do.

With His Blessings,
Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment