Friday, August 21, 2015

“Put Love into Action” Devotion by Council Member Dolly Whitlock

In finishing an email to a friend I wanted to end with “XOXO” (hugs and kisses) as a short-hand way of signaling good thoughts and feelings. With a slip of the finger onto the wrong key, my “XOXO” became “SOSO”.

It struck me that love (affection, caring, and friendship) should not be “so-so”.

In 1 Peter 1:22, Peter tells us “Now that you have purified yourselves by obeying the truth so that you have sincere love for each other, love one another deeply, from the heart.” The King James translation says to “see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently”.

In 1 John 3:18-19, we are advised to put love into action: “Dear children, let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth. This is how we know that we belong to the truth and how we set our hearts at rest in his presence.”

I am convicted that it is not enough to have good thoughts and warm wishes toward someone. Without action, our love is not revealed.

I invite you to join me in considering how we can put love into action this week.

God bless you,
Dolly

No comments:

Post a Comment