Monday, August 31, 2015

"ALONG WITH THOSE"

"Flee the evil desires of youth, and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, along with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart." 2 Timothy 2:22

I came to the Lord young, and with my whole heart. I would not be being honest if I said I don't miss those days. The days of “The Jesus Movement” and the 60's. I am reminded of the words of a Simon and Garfunkel song which said...."Time it was and what a time it was, a time of innocence, a time of confidences. Long ago, it must be, I have a photograph, preserve your memories, they're all that's left you."

If you know me, you know I am nostalgic and sentimental, maybe even to fault. Essentially I did flee the evil desires of youth and pursued righteousness, peace, and love. It wasn't perfect of course, I am not suffering from selective memory nor am I delusional. But, I was blessed beyond words with many wonderful Christian friends and a time of ministry that was amazing. These two things are not mutually exclusive, meaning pursuing God and fleeing evil desires. For me they worked together like teamwork. The more I pursued Him the easier it was to flee evil. The more I fled evil, the easier it was to pursue God. Still works today. Though I am older my zeal is as strong and my love for Him grows. I hope this most of all for our youth, but also for those who are growing older, too. Life's issues need not steal our youthful zeal or joy. Be young at heart and wise. No matter what age you are. Do not regress to immaturity nor progress to being stuck in your ways. Take the best and make the best of it.

It’s never too late to be young at heart, and never too soon to wise up.

Sentimental and fired up,
Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment