Thursday, July 23, 2015

“A Refreshing Friend in Christ” by: Pastor Fred Snider

“May the Lord show mercy to the household of Onesiphorus, because he often refreshed me and was not shamed of my chains. On the contrary, when he was in Rome, he searched hard for me until he found me. May the Lord grant that he will find mercy from the lord on the day! You know very well in how many ways he helped me in Ephesus.” 2 Timothy 1:16-18

There are some especially refreshing people in our lives. They often add help and hope. As a matter of fact they are a wonderful blessing at just the right time.

As Paul is growing weary of his chains and imprisonment, he reflects here on a dear soul named Onesiphorus. This guy evidently really encouraged Paul with his efforts to find him and his helpfulness. Some folks just have that ability to seek you out when you need to be found and do just the thing that you need. When this happens in our lives we are grateful. Paul reminds Timothy of who Onesiphrous is. (by the way, I would think the name alone would bring this guy to mind, not a common name) Anyway, he was a big help and blessing back in the ministry in Ephesus. So Paul is praying that this dear friend’s family will be shown mercy and that at the end the Lord will grant him mercy personally. Today I sense that I should challenge us to appreciate all the Onesiphoruses in our lives. And, to be Onesiphorus more often to others. We all need dear believing friends who accept our situations, understand us, and help us as needed.

As I think back on all the many years of ministry just now and all the dear hearts that were so helpful and so positive and so understanding, I am grateful beyond words. God has surely blessed me with many Onesiphorus through the years. Hopefully I have been a Onesiphorus to others, too. Would you be blessed by a refreshing friend in Christ today? Would someone be blessed if you were a refreshing friend in Christ today? Let us refresh each other. Life isn’t always easy and we sure could use some refreshment.

May the Lord show mercy to all the refreshing ones as they bless others.

How refreshing,
Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment