Thursday, July 16, 2015

“SUFFERING WITHOUT SHAME”

"That is why I am suffering as I am. Yet I am not ashamed, because I know whom I have believed, and am convinced that He is able to guard what I have entrusted to Him for that day." 2 Timothy 1:12

This is one of my very favorite verses, some of which is quoted as the chorus in a hymn from my youth that brings back quite a few memories. Paul is suffering not only because he is imprisoned, it is also just honestly difficult to represent the faith constantly or consistently. He doesn't want his imprisonment to discourage anyone, yet he wants to be real about his faith and circumstances. So he is not ashamed of his predicament because he is serving the Lord even though in chains. His words that explain why are simply beautiful. Let me list a few observations about how Paul turns his tough situation into a blessing.

1. What he knows trumps how he feels.

2. Who he knows empowers what he knows.

3. He is totally convinced God is able.

4. He is confident God guards his future.

5. He trusts Christ implicitly.

6. He is sure that a better day is coming, one way or the other.

Even though he will soon be put to death, this is his viewpoint, his bottom line, his heartfelt perspective. This should be our song today too. Our bottom line. No matter what, God has got us. He is able to take me from where I am to where I am going regardless of where that is right now, or my perception of it. Suffering comes and goes. I am a servant of the Lord. We are gonna get there, and not only that, we are gonna redeem this moment and the rest of this day.

Amen,
Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment