Tuesday, September 1, 2015

"QUARRELS" Devotion by Pastor Fred Snider

"Don't have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you know they produce quarrels." 2 Timothy 2:23

As I begin to write this devotional today, I realize that I need to hear what I am about to say. Particularly in this contentious season of politics, I know I need to be very selective about how many issues I weigh in on. In the matters of faith, and biblical principle yes, matters of personal opinion, not so much. It is a divisive and polarizing time and we should all be careful of being politicized over issues outside the essential doctrines of our faith and practice. When we do take a stand we do not need to be argumentative about it. In the family of God we must protect our unity, above getting everyone to agree with us about everything.

When civil discourse breaks down, we must step back and agree to disagree, agreeably. When conversations get quarrelsome we must be peaceable before the foolishness and stupidity take over. I recommend cutting down on our consumption of "the news". There is a difference between being informed and getting whipped up. Of course, politics is not our only source of arguments. We have family matters, personality conflicts, and many other bones of contention. Paul says basically that if the argument leads to a quarrel, it is stupid and foolish.

We should value peace above opinion except in the very most serious of matters.

Peacefully,
Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment