Thursday, December 16, 2010

Loving Ourselves

Luke 10:27 "Love the Lord your God with all your soul and with all your strength and with all you mind and love your neighbor as yourself."

Often, one of the most difficult things to do in life is to love ourselves. Even though we tend to be very selfish and self-centered, we find it hard to actually love ourselves.

I believe there are three reasons I struggle with this in my own life:

1. I worry that I m being egotistical
2. I don t know how
3. I know myself too well

Here are the three solutions to my concerns:

1. Actually I end up more egotistical and self-centered denying myself than practicing healthy self-love. Putting myself down brings more attention to me than being gracious.

2. I can ask God how to love myself because He knows how to love me better than anyone, and He can tell me how through His Word.

3. God knows me better than I know myself. He knows me through and through and loves me still and all. I really don't know me as well as God does, and I should love myself because He loves me.

In the Great Commandment, we are told to love our neighbor as our self. If I did that truthfully, I might neglect my neighbors or feel horrible feelings toward them or even ignore them completely.

Do you treat yourself well? Is it hard for you to love yourself enough to:

1. Rest or sleep?
2. Take care of your body?
3. Be quiet?
4. Forgive yourself?
5. Try again?

Imagine, God loves me so much that He gave His only Son for me. If I don t love myself, what does that say about this truth?

His love and mine,
Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment