Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Missing Worship

Hebrews 10:25 Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another.

As you may know I really do love to write, but from time to time I will share something from another Pastor when it really makes a point. Pastor Tim Klinkenberg from St. John's Lutheran Church and School in Orange, where many of our 5th graders graduate to, wrote this article entitled, "Let Your Soul Be Filled" which talks about how he felt and dealt about missing worship.

Since I am going to miss two weeks of church soon and he expresses much of how I feel and deal... Enjoy the fresh and very similar sentiments of my fellow Pastor and friend, Tim.
P.s. Preach it Tim!!!!!

Dear St. John's Faithful,

I have a confession to make to you today. Two days ago was Sunday and I skipped worship. As a matter of fact, my entire family skipped worship and we spent Sunday doing stuff. At first I was refreshed that I had slept in until 7:30 and it felt so good. I went from there to my living room to watch the talking political heads flicking between the major networks. Disappointment filled my heart as I listened to the weak ideas and the lack of accountability of those speaking. I drifted back to worship and the joy of standing with believers before God and saying, "I know I've done wrong and I'm accountable for my actions. Lord Jesus, forgive me." Then I hear and take into my soul, "I absolutely forgive you in the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. AMEN." Interesting that the NFL popped on FOX 11 and the big game was the Green Bay game at Atlanta. They analyzed that game a 100 different ways and talked trash which was nice -- and funny -- but not speaking to my soul. There was nothing for me to receive, but through the commercial interruptions there were lots of advertisements about things for me to buy. But there was no Biblical analysis of my life. There was nothing of any eternal value. The game came and went. The Atlanta kicker kicked the winning field goal and the Green Bay team lost a squeaker. But once it was over, I went and cleaned up the remnants of Thanksgiving, cleaning the smoker, sweeping up the garage and grieving a little that my son was on his way back to San Diego. Nothing eternal, just living for the moment!

The best part of Sunday was the moment that Barb and I spent together eating our leftover turkey soup, having a glass of "Prodigal Son" petite syrah and sharing a sourdough baguette. We joined hands and prayed for God to bless our little meal and we shared some very warm conversation and some very hot soup on a blustery and windy evening. That was the best part of my day. I don't skip worship very often, not because it's my job, but because my life is somewhat empty without it. Somewhere long ago I remember someone I respected saying, "you don't have to go to church to be a Christian." The older I get the more stupid that comment becomes. Sure you don't have to worship faithfully, but you get to worship faithfully. Weekly worship is a privilege that Christians have. It's that time with God and other Christians that restores our souls in a way a TV show can't. Weekly worship has a way of grounding our lives in a way a football game or a soccer game can't. Weekly worship has a way of transcending for us all the low altitude problems of the moment and helping us to see them against a backdrop of eternity. In our country right now there is a malaise among Christians as relates to regular worship. Even in our own congregation, people plug weekly worship in as it fits the other events of their schedule, and then they wonder why they feel empty, angry and alone. Hmmmm, I wonder. Could it be that all the stuff of life needs only six days to work through and that the 7th day of rest brings order to those other days? Could it be that viewing worship as one more thing you have to do, rather than a high honor to be in the presence of God, wears us out and leaves us without proper spiritual grounding? I wonder?

So, for me and my family, here's to getting up and getting after it. Week by week, day by day and Sunday by Sunday. God invites and we follow. Join us regularly as the Lord feeds our spirits by His grace. Join us as a function of love and enjoy the tranquil moments and peace that trails you from the worship experience. Sit down, close your eyes, hear the words, experience the community and let your soul be filled. It's the best of life and the best of eternity.

Peace in Christ,
Pastor Tim Klinkenberg

No comments:

Post a Comment