Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Trusting God

Psalm 143:8 "Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you."

Though I have finished my yearlong journey through the Psalms, writing a devotional using a verse or more from all 150 of them, (many from Psalm 119) I believe the themes in Psalms are inexhaustible and the depths of the encouragement that come from them are unfathomable.

So, I took this verse in recently because of a number of things going on in people's lives around me and want to say a few words about trusting God. Today really is a new day and though we know not what it may bring it is extremely refreshing to consider just how many new days we get to have. Actually, every single one is a new day. As I sit typing this I am reminded how today I needed to hear of His unfailing love and this verse jumped out at me. Not so much because I personally am struggling with knowing His love or trusting Him to renew His mercies every morning, but because of the number of folks that are having a hugely difficult time right now coping in general.

Mornings are special. Just recently, on a Monday, I was up way early to go get the Panera Bread and the most beautiful sunrise of pink and orange led me all the way down 4th street. Truly inspiring. It reminded me of His unfailing love that brings each new day.

Now today, as I am writing this in my office, I look up at my wall to gather my thoughts and there are several little prisms of light. You know, the kind that happen when sunlight is reflected through a prism. Little streaks of red, orange, yellow, green, blue and purple. All different shapes and sizes, but several of them. Have you ever tried to figure out where it comes from? I just did. This little array of faux rainbows of color are being displayed through a heavy plastic paperweight that has a laser etched lighthouse inside the middle of it. I just now moved it so I can enjoy the display while I finish this devotional. These moments and observations are all around us. Reminders brought to us from the beginning to the end of each day. We must slow down enough to see them.

There is a little plaque next to that prism that says "The Lord is my strength and my song" Exodus 15:2. How appropriate. I hope those of you who fight your way through your feelings, misgivings, baggage, wounds, fears, suspicions and personal drama every day, especially take the time to notice such things. It will undeniably interrupt your rut and perspective. When we see the beauty of the big picture we can stop focusing on the minutiae that is driving us nuts. Sooooo, listen to Christian music, post verses all over your life, look at nature, see the best in people, take a deep breath, get over yourself, take the blinders off, relax, let go and let God.

No wonder we have an arsenal of such sayings because of our strong tendency to manufacture issues. Let the mystery and wonder of nature and life overwhelm the dysfunctional intrigue with the sordid side of life.

This morning... even though people are upside down, ticked off, conflicted at their wit's end, and frustrated; I am accepting that He is the answer to everything. The enemy attacks our thoughts.

Consider Him and all He has to show you that can put you at ease with yourself and everyone else too. I am at peace just sharing this with you. Thank you for the opportunity. Please receive the blessings from this and apply them appropriately.

Trusting Him, Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment