Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Little Ones

Matthew 18:10 "See that you do not look down on one of these little ones. For I tell you that their angels in heaven always see the face of my Father in heaven."

God's love for children is not questioned. His extreme care for them is spoken of in His Word many times. He has a special relationship with children. Actually, I remember. When very young I could sense the presence of His power so readily. I believe there were angels present at my emergency appendectomy and when my father drove our car off into a ditch when a tornado passed. I remember the peace and love and joy I felt just thinking about God. This passage of scripture lets us know that angels are specifically assigned to children. I think it is why they so readily believe and why they seem to have such an easy and precious love for Jesus.

That being said let me share with you something that happened to me during worship this week. I usually join worship during the first or second song after almost all the people have arrived and been welcomed or greeted at the gate. As I came to the front row I was immediately given a hug from Evanee. She is a very loving child. As we were singing, I noticed that Evanee was watching me worship. She was really focused on my singing and when I would raise my hands and the words we were singing. She then decided that we would hold hands. So for one whole song I sang to the Lord and to Evanee as we held hands. This seemed to make her very happy. She had to reach way up to hold my hand and look even further up to watch me worship.

Then something happened that surprised me. She sat down. As best as she could anyway, she sat down straining even harder to hold hands. So I sat down to make her more comfortable. This made her even happier. She continued to watch me worship intently, eyes wide open, smiling ear to ear. I thought to myself if anyone wondered why I had sat down during worship. But you know… I wasn't standing to be seen, so I wasn't sitting for any reason other than to accommodate Evanee so we could hold hands during the songs. As we sat together it was easier for me to sing to her and illustrate the word, and a lot easier for her to see. This she enjoyed thoroughly, and so did I, and so did My Heavenly Father.

As the last line of the song was sung, I bent closer to Evanee and whispered into her ear that Jesus loved her and so did I. In response to this, she says...."Uh huh, I know". Of course she does. As I read these words from scripture today I just had to smile and remember my time of worship with Evanee. Jesus said, "See that you do not look down on one of these little ones. For I tell you, that their angels in heaven always see the face of my Father in heaven." I'm thinking I got a glimpse of Him in Evanee's eyes and hopefully she in mine. Take time for children, it helps you stay close to God and to see His face. Also, be sure to do whatever you should not to disrupt the worship of anybody. God would appreciate that, after all it is His time right?

In His Service, Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment