Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Why We Are Allowed to Live

Genesis 2:7 "Then the Lord God took some soil from the ground and formed a man out of it; He breathed life-giving breath into his nostrils and the man began to live." (GNT)

Ever wonder why we are here? Or, why we are still here? I do. Must be a reason or purpose. As best I can tell, we are supposed to live. God took some dirt and fashioned the first man, Adam, and breathed the breath of life into him and ever since then, human beings have been living. The Bible also says that in Him, 'we live and move and have our being'. Without God there is no life. Hey, without God there is nothing, and frankly theologically speaking, there isn't even that. Wow, that can give you a pause to think for a moment.

So what do we do with this life we have? Seems to me we ought to do something appreciative and meaningful. After all, that seems like the appropriate response to being brought into existence. A long time ago I remember singing a song from the hymnbook that spoke of what to do and how to respond to the breath that God breathes into us. So with every breath I take I am reminded that I am here for a purpose and reason and that it matters what I do. The words to this hymn still ring true with me today. Hope they ring true with you today too.

Breathe on Me, Breath of God

Breathe on me, Breath of God, fill me with life anew,
That I may love what Thou dost love, and do what thou wouldst do.

Breathe on me, Breath of God, until my heart is pure,
Until with thee I will one will, to do and to endure.

Breathe on me, Breath of God, till I am wholly Thine,
Until this earthly part of me glows with Your fire divine.

Breathe on me, Breath of God, so shall I never die,
But live with Thee the perfect life of Thine eternity.

These sweet, poetic 'old-timey' words say something very significant to my heart. In my teens when I first met Jesus, and first learned this song, the fervor of my faith resonated so deep with zeal in my heart, that all truth, however stated, was like food to my soul. I still get 4 distinct messages from these stanzas.

1. I need to be renewed to do His will.

2. I need to surrender to Him daily to do His will.

3. I need to mature spiritually in order to do His will more effectively.

4. I need to start living for Him eternally now, that is His will.

I want to do the will of God. I think if we are serious at all about our faith and relationship with Christ that this thought must come to us often. When it does, we must respond. Maybe if we did think of Him every time we took a breath it would help. Hopefully we don't need to stop breathing in order to consider it seriously. Just a thought. Now, breathe in the Breath of God until your heart is pure, until you want His will and are willing to endure.

In His Service with you,
Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment