Monday, January 3, 2011

A Family Never Ends

I John 5:11 And this is the testimony, that God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son.

The older I get, the more grateful I am for eternal life. The past few years have been difficult ones for my family. My Sister and my Dad died within two years of each other, I , lost my job after nearly 12 years, and my Mother-in-law was diagnosed with dementia and now lives with us. But through it all, we have become closer as a family, and we have learned so much about the depth of love God gives us through each other.

This year, for Christmas, I wanted to give something to my Mom that would comfort her with the truth that, even though my Sister and Dad are no longer with us here on earth, the family we have is an eternal one, and nothing, not even death, can take that away from us. So I began by collecting photographs containing my Sister and Dad for a collage. Then my amazing wife came up with a brilliant idea. She said, "Why don't you write a poem about family and put it in the middle of the collage?" And so I did just that. This Christmas, I hope you will be as blessed as I am by the experience of God's love shared with your family, and by the knowledge that the family of God never ends. Here is the poem. Merry Christmas, Everyone, and Happy Birthday, Jesus!

A Family Never Ends

A family begins, but a family never ends.
Across time and eternity, its loving reach extends.
It shapes who we are, and who we will become,
And reminds us with pride where we all came from.
It stays in our hearts no matter where we roam,
And provides us a place we can always call home.
God provides the love on which a family depends,
And since a family is love, a family never ends.

Love in Jesus,

Hank

No comments:

Post a Comment