Friday, January 7, 2011

Loving Others

I John 4:11 “Dear friends since God so loved us we also ought to love one another.”

The commands to love God, love ourselves and love others are individually important but intertwined. We love God because of who He is. We love ourselves because of what He did for us on the cross. We love others in the same way, because of what He did for them. I have a little exercise that I use when leading groups on the subject of loving each other, and I'd like to share it with you.

When asked to love others, picture what God thinks of them instead of what you think or feel about them. If the mental picture is not enough, then stick out your arm like you have it around someone's shoulder and picture the person you should be loving there. Sometimes when we do this, it feels uncomfortable because we do find it hard to love each other. The next step, while your arm is sticking out around your imaginary person, is to ask God what He thinks of him. For example, the conversation might go like this, (picture my arm around someone imaginary):

“God, this is Hank", (not really, but it is a good name to use as an example). “How do you feel about him? Give me the strength and compassion to think of Hank as you do."

This is not at all easy to do! (not particularly because Hank is the example either) When I have done this, I sometimes drop my arm because I find it hard to be honest when I have my arm around somebody. Also, when I am before God asking questions, I find it harder to complain about anybody.

I suggest this exercise with your church family. Start with someone who is easy to love and then try someone who is harder. You'll be surprised at the results. I want to encourage you to love others in word and indeed. It is easier to say something nice than to do something nice. One of the most loving things we can do is just simply encourage each other.

Would you agree with me that some people are a lot easier to love than others? I believe that when we pray for people, we are loving them, even when we pray for our enemies. God's love is unconditional. He loves everybody, and He'll help us love everyone, even if they seem unlovable. If you struggle with this concept and the actions I have recommended, maybe you are really struggling with loving God or yourself...something to consider. I sometimes must forgive someone before I can love them or accept their forgiveness.

Loving one another glorifies God. I think He would appreciate our best effort in this area. It is so easy in one sense, yet so very difficult in another. I figure, if Jesus died for someone, they must be redeemable and lovable.

His love and mine,
Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment