Tuesday, January 18, 2011

What Forgiveness Smells Like

Luke 23:34 "Jesus said, 'Forgive them Father for they don't know what they are doing.'"

One of my absolute all-time favorite sayings goes as follows:

"Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the foot that crushed it."

This quote from an unknown source is a perfect example of Christ's sacrifice on the cross because of our sins. What a graphic picture of what He accomplished with the greatest act of forgiveness ever. We were the beneficiaries of His unconditional gift of love, and yet it is so difficult for us to forgive. We are all encouraged by scripture to forgive others because we have been forgiven, but somehow we find it very hard to let go of the sins and offenses of others.

Some time ago, I was walking into a restaurant with a friend of mine who was talking a-mile-a-minute to me, and the last thing I heard her say, before I heard the crunch under my foot, was "Why look, there is a stinkbug." I immediately felt horrible because, as I looked down toward my feet, indeed what was left of poor Mr.Stinkbug was a wriggling mess of squashed pieces and legs, and it was then I got a whiff of where he got his name. Seeing that there was no hope to help him to safety or restore him in any way, I put him out of his misery and apologized to my friend for not being able to respond to her warning sooner. My friend was many years my senior and very experienced in how to handle embarrassing moments and said, "Well, there was nothing you could have done and it is best that you took care of him, so he wouldn't suffer." I still felt bad and tried once again to explain my honest sorrow that I had inadvertently destroyed one of God's creations. She then smiled and assured me that, in the bigger picture, she appreciated my heartfelt remorse, and that someday I would use the illustration. That stinkbug was not the most beautiful thing ever created nor was its scent the most delightful, yet I had more tangible feelings about it than I did about my sin that caused Jesus so much pain on the cross.

Since that experience I have given thought many times to the price of my sin and the wonderful forgiveness I have received because of what Christ did. I have actually become more forgiving and more thoughtful of others again recently and more careful of my step and more aware of where I am stepping. By doing so, I'm sure I have avoided a number of other inadvertent catastrophes and near misses I was probably not even aware of at the time.

Isn't this just like us, though? We become reckless and callous about the effects of what we do, and we carelessly bring unnecessary destruction on God's creation, especially people. I don't know whether that bug forgave me, (I sincerely doubt he could) but I do know that God does forgive me for my sins of carelessness and omission. This truth gives me great hope because I truly desire not to be much trouble. When we forgive others, including ourselves, we are released from the chains of regret, bitterness and dismay.

Give and receive forgiveness easily and often. This will remind you of His great gift to you and help to keep you in perspective and walking in grace. I hope this little illustration helps you as the family of God to forgive each other.

Watch your step, (uhhh, and your words?)

Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment