Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Accreditation

"Men of Israel, listen to this: Jesus of Nazareth was a man accredited by God to you by miracles, wonders and signs, which God did among you through Him, as you yourselves know." Acts 2:22

This verse brings up some things for me that I would like to share with you. They are part of my core experience. Part of what has shaped me through almost 50 years of ministry.

First, is the whole concept of accreditation. As you may know, probably the big majority of pastors attend Seminary and receive degrees from 'accredited' schools'. Many attend Bible Colleges prior to that. I came a different route to the pastorate. I attended college, (many of them) over many years. Due to a technicality, I did not officially receive my bachelor's degree, although I have a picture of me receiving my degree from the President of the University of Redlands. (Long story, perhaps for another devotional.) I have taken upper division courses, but did not attend a seminary nor receive a Master's degree.

After years of experience and success as a pastor I was ordained by First Baptist Church of Big Bear Valley. I believe wholeheartedly that I am called to be a pastor, although I do not have formal credentials. There are other folks like me in the pastorate and other professional fields too. In essence, as all pastors know, our calling and accreditation comes from God. The most important thing is that God calls people to ministry. That does not mean that education that prepares people for ministry is not valued, important or needed. It is, it is just not the most important thing. God's accrediting of Jesus is essential. I do not mean to make more of a comparison than is necessary or appropriate.

Maybe the old adage that simply says that 'the proof is in the pudding', fits here. Those who know they are called and evidence that calling are called. If indeed they are called by God. I love the saying that, "God does not call the qualified, He qualifies the called."

In His service,
Passtor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment