Tuesday, November 3, 2015

"Judas"

"In those days Peter stood up among the believers (a group numbering about a hundred and twenty) and said, "Brothers, the scripture had to be fulfilled which the Holy Spirit spoke long ago through the mouth of David concerning Judas, who served as a guide for those who arrested Jesus, he was one of our number and shared in this ministry.“ (With the reward he got for his wickedness, Judas bought a field where he fell headlong, his body burst open and all his intestines spilled out. Everyone in Jerusalem heard about this, so they called that field in their language, Akeldama, that is, field of blood) “For,” said Peter, “it is written in the book of Psalms," ‘May his place be deserted; let there be no one to dwell in it, ’and, ’May another take his place of leadership.’" Acts 1:15-20

Judas, like Jezebel and Barabbas, are to this day unpopular children's names. The very mention of Judas is met with disdain and negative reaction.

For me, over the years, my reaction to Judas has changed some. For me, when I hear his name, I remember my own corruptibility. Especially when I sin I am reminded what I share in common with Judas, his sin nature. I don't know what he was thinking when he so violently and brutally died. I know what the Bible says about him, and I know me, and how capable I am of being in denial about what I am. I also hear Peter say in these verses, somewhat respectfully.... "he was one of our number and shared in this ministry."

When people fail, when whoever does the unthinkable, whatever it is, it is not necessarily the unforgivable sin. Be careful how many fingers you point at Judas or anyone. Remember, you are shown mercy and saved by grace.

Today, I am going to watch my step and my mouth. Join me fellow disciples of Jesus.

Humbly His,
Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment