Monday, May 6, 2013

The Most High’s House

"However, the Most High does not live in houses made by human hands." Acts 7:48

Stephen takes 47 verses to tell the story of the Jewish people, from Abraham to Solomon. He finishes verse 47 by saying that Solomon built the temple. Then, a concept that we all understand is shared in verse 48. Scripture says a number of times that God does not literally live in houses built by human hands. We know He lives in the hearts of believers and that we are the temples of the Holy Spirit. But, religion can confine God to buildings and make the trappings and traditions of the practice of spirituality more important than the relationship with a living God. I must say that this leniency towards “edifice complex” was still common 50 years ago.

When I first starting coming to church as a 13 year old (yes, that was half a century ago), I got strong vibes that the church was kinda “the holy of holies”. Let me add right now, that I think we have lost some healthy reverence and decorum in modernization. But, lack of access and stodginess of church in the early sixties had to go. It was like the facility had become the literal dwelling place of the Most High. So, we must avoid extremes. Kids cannot be allowed to run on the chairs, but they can laugh.

I think way back about how many oldsters ( I am one now) would glare at youngsters for smiling too much. I am glad our church doesn’t suffer from either extreme, too much. But, we should encourage both freedom and respect. I ask children to slow down around seniors, and to pick up their messes. I also encourage the non-churched, or newcomers to feel at home and not worry about breaking invisible rules.

So, we should make sure not to send any messages about God somehow, literally only living in the building and at the same time, act like He does actually, live in us.
Good point Pastor, and good pint Stephen, too.

Him in me,
Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment