Tuesday, May 7, 2013

You Stiff-Necked People

"You stiff-necked people! Your hearts and ears are still uncircumcised. You are just like your ancestors: You always resist the Holy Spirit!" Acts 7:51

When I read this indictment from Stephen, I immediately was reminded of a line from Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid , where after a tirade from Butch, Sundance says, "Don’t sugarcoat it Butch, just tell ‘em straight." Again, Stephen is just quoting Scripture where God’s frustration with His people had reached an apex, and He laid it out straight. Obliviously, stiff-necked refers to the inability and unwillingness to turn around or change. The hearts and ears refer to not listening and having an unnecessary covering that makes us deaf or hard-hearted.

Ancestors, refers to the generations of God’s people who do not learn from mistakes, rebellion, and disobedience.

Always, is the strongest word in the passage. You can say I am stubborn, or that I have selective hearing, or am sometimes cold hearted. But, to say I ALWAYS resist the Holy Spirit and that my Dad and Grandpa did, too? That is tough! But, is it true? How about you? Or me? Do I ever really listen? Has my heart really changed? Do I care or know I don’t seem to? Am I kidding myself? Will I turn and take a fresh, honest look at me? I must answer for me, and you answer for you.

I don’t want to be part of Christianity as just the status quo. I want to be transformation. I want renewal. I want hope and purpose. And you?

I have to remember that it is not the obvious lies that I have to defend myself from, it is the modicum of truth in a hard thing to accept, reflect upon, and learn from. I may not be callous, but I can be insensitive. I may not be irresponsible, but I can be careless. I may not be a bad witness, but I miss opportunities. I could list ten more things, but I will deal with these three for now.

Reflectively,
Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment