Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Wherever You Go

"Those who had been scattered preached the Word wherever they went." Acts 8:4

I have been known to appreciate simple profundities. One of my favorite quotes kinda goes like this....."Always remember, wherever you go, there you are." Not too difficult to understand, right?

Last year, at the Catalyst Conference for Young Adult Leaders the theme was "Be Present". The message was to unplug from the electronic devices long enough to connect to the real moment. I recently watched two young girls in a restaurant, who were sitting across the table from one another, texting each other. Never made eye contact, never spoke. They laughed, reacted, made faces, and emotionalized non-verbally, but were only connected as if they weren't physically together. Very strange. It was almost as if they had lost the ability to conversate in person. Very strange, very strange indeed.

The reason I bring this up, in the light of this verse, is that in order for us to preach or share the Word (the truth) wherever we go, we must somehow be present there. Being scattered refers to being in different towns because of the persecution. Today, scattered means that we can't collect our own thoughts and make any sense out of them. So, I have some counsel for us. Whenever you go wherever, try to take yourself along. I mean, you as a Christian, a child of God. Who you really are. Listen to people, look folks in the eye, and not with the 'stink-eye' either. Speak to people; engage them in courteous niceties, and positive banter. Make an effort to be a blessing. Try being friendly and kind. Pay it forward, and stuff like that. If we don't, the spreading of the Good News will be thwarted.

I am not against social networking, or against telephone communication or texting. But, when we are together or with human beings, give it a rest. Put that contraption down and grab somebody's hand and say grace before you eat. That alone is a huge witness.

I know I have to map out longer periods of time with humans, to just be with them without distraction. Otherwise I am not present. I am not really there. I know what I am talking about because I use my handheld device not only as a phone but a watch, a map, a calendar, a radio and half a dozen other basic applications, all the time. We have countless opportunities to spread the Word every day. Just with kindness, smiles and friendliness.

Don't miss out on real life by being consumed by cyber life. May we all be present and accounted for, at all times. Remember, wherever you go, there you are, whether you have your phone or not.
Hope to talk to you uninterrupted soon. Let's connect with each other and everybody, especially when we are face to face.

Keep looking up,
Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment