Tuesday, July 27, 2010

How to Repay God

Psalm 116:12-14 "How can I repay the Lord for all His goodness to me? I will lift up the cup of salvation and call on the name of the Lord. I will fulfill my vows to the Lord in the presence of all His people."

The anonymous writer of this Psalm loves the Lord because he knows the Lord heard his cry for mercy. God turned His ear to him and delivered him from his anguish and he is eternally grateful. Near death, troubled and sorrowful the man was struggling and called on the Name of the Lord. God responded with grace and compassion. God saved him from a pit of despair wiping his tears and giving him rest from his affliction and near destruction. Wow.

I know this in my life more than once. I understand how this feels and what this does for one's relationship with the Lord. I hope you know God's grace on this level. When we totally surrender to Him and He responds we have a new appreciation for His love and grace. Our response only then to Him is total commitment. I first realized this at the point of my salvation. I received His forgiveness, received His saving grace, then totally committed to Him in response.

I have also known this a number of times in my walk with Him over the years; in times of utter despair, attack from the enemy, betrayal, sickness and anxiety. When it happens, I am overwhelmed by the joy of my salvation. I say it again now, it was Him and Him alone, who rescued me, healed me, encouraged my spirit, restored me and reconciled me.

But my response goes deeper than that. I must also recommit to Him my vows afresh each time. My vow of faithfulness in marriage, my vow of serving Him in ministry and my vow as a covenant member of Grace Harbor Church. Not only do I do it in my heart and before Him and with Him, I also testify to it publicly. I must tell you today because I am reminded.

This is part of our testimony, the ongoing help of the Lord. the never ceasing intervention and hand of God that never fails and always succeeds. He indeed never leaves us or forsakes us, He is always there and His power and strength help us in times of trouble and despair. He is faithful and in response to that faithfulness I will be faithful to Him. I am ever reminded of His grace towards me and when I am I will draw attention to Him, my Savior and my God. So today I challenge you to answer the question.....How can you repay the Lord for all His goodness to you? I am not waiting for your answer, but maybe you are and better yet maybe He is.....

His, Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment