Thursday, April 26, 2012

Jesus Loves the Little Children

"People were bringing little children to Jesus to have him touch them, but the disciples rebuked them. When Jesus saw this, he was indignant. He said to them, Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it. And he took the children in his arms, put his hands on them and blessed them." Mark 10:13-16

Mark 10:13-16 has got to be one of the most precious passages in His word. You probably know it by its subtitle, "Jesus Blesses the Little Children." I think it was the inspiration for the song that says…”Jesus loves the little children, all the children of the world. Red and yellow, black and white, they are precious in His sight. Jesus loves the little children of the world."

Many times over the years I have thought of the words to that song, and those precious verses even speaking and singing them as I have walked through the Grace Harbor campus. It is so ultimately encouraging to know that Jesus is a champion, protector, and blessed of children. We can tell they receive and know Jesus love because of the precious things they say. I hear and see it in their singing in Chapel, and in their sweet words to me. I see it in their eyes, and on their faces. They believe Jesus loves them, not just because we tell them, but because they feel it and it really is true.

I wanted this year to be the "Year of the Child" at Grace Harbor. I now
think it will take two years to show how important children are here. We have much to learn from their faith and love. We should do everything in our power to help them experience the Lord. Children know how to give and receive God’s love more easily and better than adults. Yes, I know they can also be uncooperative and precocious. After all, they have inherited our sinful nature. Rather than expound any more on the subject I will let the passage and Jesus’ own words speak for themselves, because it says it so dearly and profoundly.

People were bringing little children to Jesus for him to place his hands on them, but the disciples rebuked them. When Jesus saw this, he was indignant. He said to them "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. Truly I tell you, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it." And he took the children in his arms, placed his hands on them and blessed them. We do have a lot to learn, don’t we?

For the children,
Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment