Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Whole Truth

John 14:6 Jesus answered, “I am the Way and the Truth and the Life. No one comes to the Father except through me.”

Picture listening in on a conversation happening between a father and his daughter... Erica insisted, "...that in a true court of law, if the facts were known(and if she could explain the whole story),the real truth would come out." Her father decided to convene court immediately and called to order, Morris Family Court. Erica was summoned to the witness stand to be sworn in. Erica noted, "This is not a real court, Daddy!" (not knowing exactly what her dad was up to this time, undoubtedly to make a point, but what point?.) "Let's go ahead; you'll see..." her father said. "I'm innocent!" She exclaimed, playing along. "Order in the court!" her father said, and asked her to put her hand on the Bible. Erica recognized the Bible. It was the one her grandma gave her six years ago on her eighth birthday. A "Precious Moments" Bible that was coming out of its cover from several years of devotions and Sunday school, Day Camp and pretty much everywhere she went – even to school a few times. She hadn't looked at it in a year or two because she was using the Teen Devotional Bible her Youth Pastor gave her at Summer Camp two years ago, when she accepted Christ as her Savior. Suddenly she was jolted back into the courtroom with her dad's voice repeating "Erica, do you solemnly swear to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, so help you God?" The words went straight through her heart, and she, for some reason thought them out, phrase by phrase. "Erica...", [That's me, Erica Christine Morris, a child of God, born again at Jr. High Summer Camp 2009], "solemnly swear..." [as serious as I can be, deep, deep in my heart, with Jesus standing right there,before God and everybody, including grandma] "to tell the truth..." [to confess, reveal, speak it] "the whole Truth..." [everything, not holding anything back to protect myself, or make anything up on the spur of the moment – let it all out] "nothing but the truth..." [What, no exaggerations, no minimizing, no twisting words, leaving parts out that aren't known, no making it seem like no big deal?] "so help you God." [so help me, God….. I don't want to be in this court. I don't want to explain anything to anybody right now... Can I plead the fifth? Don't I have the right to remain silent or something?] A long pause and she was jolted again by the sound of her father saying her name, "Erica?" "Yes, Daddy?" she said. "Put your hand on the Bible." he gently requested. "Dad, I'm sorry for my part in what happened today; I shouldn't have been where I was, doing what I did or saying what I said", she confessed. "Thank you, honey. Charges dropped – record cleared – no sentence – court adjourned!" he sternly stated in his deepest voice. They laughed, but Erica realized right then and there that there was only one source of truth, and that was God and His Word. Regardless of all the facts, all the opinions, all the explanations, all the data, sound bytes, experts, reliable sources, videotape at 11, and any and all other spins on any of life's experiences, there is but one truth. Jesus said, "I am the Way and the Truth and the Life – no man comes to the Father but by me." His truth is perfect and absolute. We live in a world of too much information and too little truth. Picture yourself like Erica, before God. Be thankful today for His mercy and His grace. Don't worry so much about your rights or about due Process, or all the technicalities of our alleged innocence. Instead, consider His glory, His justice, and His absolute Truth. Our God is the only true God, and He is Sovereign. Aren’t we glad that He is the only true Judge too.

Appreciating the mercy and grace of our loving Heavenly Father,
Pastor Fred

2 comments:

  1. If there was a "like" button on here I would click it! Great devotional, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea, so we've added a "Like" button!

    ReplyDelete