Friday, March 11, 2011

"Philemon - A One Page Quick Study" on Friendship

Our Friday Devotion comes to us from Council Member, Charlotte:
I was asked on Tuesday by Dolly to switch weeks with her for weekend Council duties, for which I was glad to do. Since it wasn't my week, I hadn't given any thought to what I might write for the devotional. Well, as it turns out, God had already gone ahead of me (go figure) because the topic sprang up out of nowhere.
My good friend, Sara, had given me a Daily "Seize the Day" Calendar, which I promised to read the insightful messages and remove the sheets daily (so far, doing pretty well). The inspired passage for Tuesday, March 8th was "A fabulous mixture of friends makes the texture of life deeper and richer". The saying was credited to the artist, Robin Pickens, who did the colorful artwork, also noting that it was International Women's Day. I thought, "Hey, that would make a nice theme for the devotional. Let me do a little research and find some coordinating Scripture." Well, I didn't need to do much looking because when I arrived home and opened mail {which I admit I don't do every day}, there was the nicest card from not only mine, but everyone's "Grandma Shirley", which read "Friendship - I have indeed received much joy and encouragement from your love." Philemon 1:7 Inside, it read " I am forever thankful for your friendship". After feeling that tug in my heart, I knew that Friday's devotional was already done.
As it turns out, not much time was required to read Philemon because it is one page comprised of only 25 verses. It's a quick study by The apostle Paul, a letter written by him while he was in prison to Philemon, a wealthy Christian businessman in Colosse who had been influenced by Paul's ministry, about his former slave Onesimus who was being released from prison. In prison, Paul had shared the gospel message with Onesimus, led him to Christ, convinced Onesimus to return to his former master, and to deliver his letter to Philemon. The key passage is:
Philemon 1:4-7 "I always thank my God as I remember you in my prayers, because I hear about your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love for all the saints. I pray that you may be active in sharing your faith, so that you will have a full understanding of every good thing we have in Christ. Your love has given me great joy and encouragement, because you, brother, have refreshed the hearts of the saints."
Slavery was a common practice in Paul's day, and the punishment for running away was severe. Paul's letter emphasized that Christian relationships must exude grace, forgiveness, and acceptance. Paul in his letter reminded Philemon of the forgiveness he had already received through Christ. Paul also recognized the importance of restitution and offered to personally repay Philemon what Onesimus had stolen. Paul pleaded with Philemon to accept Onesimus back, not as a slave, but as a "dear brother", both as a man and as a brother in the Lord, making him a part of his family as well.
The story in Philemon demonstrates that full forgiveness, where fully undeserved, is challenging. However, Paul reminded Philemon, and us, that this is exactly the forgiveness that God has offered us in Christ - undeserved, fully, and freely given. Even where others may have "betrayed" us, "offended" us, or "turned away from us" for any reason, we can look to God for the grace to show them what Christ has shown us - that we are willing to forgive them, to accept them, and to love them.
I am very blessed to say to many "Friends", as Grandma Shirley said to me:"I have indeed received much joy and encouragement from their love and I am forever thankful for their friendship".
To all my friends in Christ, I wish you a most blessed weekend, and that you will take the time this Sunday morning to worship with "Friends" (in Christ).
Charlotte

1 comment:

  1. Outstanding read for today! Thanks for sharing, and as God usually has it - it was the cake my eyes needed to see and at just the right moment. Again, thanks!

    ReplyDelete