Thursday, May 19, 2011

God's Will

"And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to [His] purpose." Romans 8:28

Have you ever had one of those mornings when you are at your wit's end with your children and it isn’t 8:00a.m. yet? In the span of a couple hours this morning, I have argued, yelled, threatened, begged and finally retreated to the shower where I sobbed to the Lord. It went something like, “Lord, I am at the end of my wits and I don’t even know what to ask for… please just fix this mess. You know what is best… tell me what to do… and please fix the mess.” Not the most graceful of prayers and now comes the hard part, waiting for an answer. The Lord is always so faithful and a few short hours later, I came across today’s devotional (written by Rick and Sandy) and my answer.

Rick and Sandy at Christian Fellowship Devotionals wrote:
I mentioned before, that as we have gone through a number of difficult places these last few months - and actually, the last few years, I have really learned alot. One of the things I have learned is that, contrary to my own popular belief, I do not know better.

I found myself praying, pleading with God for what I thought was best. Things I thought were so important, ways He could, should, intervene. I remember praying for our son and asking God to do whatever it took, for Him to bring our son to Himself. I did not realize at the time what I asking, or maybe what I was giving up. We mothers have a tendency to not want to let go of our kids. It doesn't matter if they are two months old, two years or twenty years and so on. They are our children. We want what is best for them. We want them to grow up and have good lives. We want them to experience as little pain as possible.

I remember one night, lying on the sofa at about 3 a.m. crying, asking God to please fix the "mess" once again. However, what I learned over and over, is that rather than praying for my will, I should be praying for His. God teaches us things in the "mess. " Sometimes the best thing that could happen is the "mess" itself.

I had a picture of things, a picture that I wanted to see happen; God had a plan. The more things we were faced with, the more I realized that I did not know what was best, sometimes, even how to pray. One night, feeling totally overwhelmed, realizing that I did not even know what to ask God to do, I found myself asking God for His will for my life, for my family and for the kids - and for the grace to accept whatever that is. I was at the end of my own ideas, thoughts, hopes - and I guess at the end of myself. That prayer has become a daily prayer for me now. Maybe we all battle with getting ourselves out of the way so God can work. His plan is often not what I would have thought would be best. Sometimes I cannot see what He is doing, nor do I understand it. However, I do know that He is in control of everything that happens. If we believe Romans 8:28, then we believe that ALL things happen for the GOOD, for those who LOVE GOD and are called according to HIS purpose. All things

Even in the worst situations, we can trust Him, knowing that God, who did not spare His own Son, would not withhold any good thing from His children.

I am glad God allows us to get to the end of ourselves. It was not a pretty picture getting there, but knowing I can trust Him to do what is best in my life and in the lives of the people I love has given new meaning to being free in Christ.

So many times my prayers include these words, “Lord, Please help my son to…(the list goes on and on). Today, my prayer is: “Lord, I turn it all over to you and ask only that Your Will be done. In Jesus’ name, Amen."

Praying for His Will,
Michelle

1 comment:

  1. I love that prayer - "Lord, I turn it all over to you and ask only that Your Will be done." How freeing it is when we submit fully to His plans for each of our days. Every Wednesday of each week, I seem to have a morning like the one you describe – I’m at my wit’s end. It's Ashton's early day at school and for whatever reason we've not been able to master the Wednesday morning chaos. Until yesterday, it had always mastered us and I usually came out stinking more than even our animals (my attitude being the “stinking” part that is). Every Tuesday night I boldly declare that “tomorrow we’re getting up super early so we can be ready on time,” yet rarely do things go according to that plan. Instead, I run around like a wild Tasmanian Devil, terrorizing husband, child, and pets until all are securely in their “go” positions. I think I can still taste the tears that ran down my own exasperated face last week.

    Yesterday was different though. As my disposition desperately tried to morph into that of Taz’s (the loud screech in particular), I caught myself and immediately prayed – “God, this is Your day and time that YOU have created. You know what I have to do, where I have to be, and when I have to be there. I give myself and my time into Your capable hands. I have nothing to worry about.” Do you know I was almost instantaneously calmed after that? I was actually NICE to the people and animals in my household! I didn’t yell, didn’t get sarcastic, and I even did the unthinkable – I laughed a few times. An absolutely shocking occurrence for a Wednesday morning! I’m quite familiar with “wits end” moments and I am so thankful you reminded me to stop and ask that His will, and not my own, be done. Thank you for a truly important message, Michelle!

    ReplyDelete