Friday, May 6, 2011

Honor your Mother

Our Friday Devotion comes to us from Council Member, Dolly:

"Honor your father and your mother, as the LORD your God has commanded you, so that you may live long and that it may go well with you in the land the LORD your God is giving you." Deuteronomy 5:16

As we prepare to celebrate Mother’s Day this weekend, our thoughts might first turn to cards and flowers, a special meal Mom doesn’t have to cook, or a gift to commemorate the occasion. But the most meaningful gift to give a mother is to honor them every day, not just on Mother’s Day.

I believe we honor our mother through showing respect, being obedient, and by being kind and thoughtful. Mothers who receive this kind of treatment are blessed indeed.

Honoring ones mother is more difficult for some than for others. It is easy to honor a mother when the relationship has been mutually respectful and loving. Not so easy if mother was harsh, abusive, neglectful, or absent.

I have not lived in the shoes of someone whose mother was hard to love, but I know it happens. Have you been wounded by an unloving mother? Or have you, as a mother, fallen short in loving your children?

Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. Colossians 3:13

In either case, the first step toward healing is through forgiveness. I have learned through life’s circumstances that keeping resentments alive blocks physical, emotional and spiritual growth and healing. Focusing on the wrongs does not allow us to see the good, in others, in ourselves, in life or in God. Forgive, so you can move forward.

And on Mother’s Day, don’t forget that one of the greatest gifts you can give is honor. A dandelion given with sincere love is sweeter by far than dozens of roses given grudgingly or with resentment. Breakfast in bed is a glorious feast when prepared by loving, obedient and respectful children. And when you top it off with a dose of prayer, what a blessing!

God bless you moms, everywhere.
Dolly

1 comment:

  1. Dolly, I am deeply moved by what you had to say on both honor and forgiveness. I think you captured the very essence of what we need to be aware of on this day. I know for me, the relationship I have with my mom is probably the most complex of any of my relationships. It’s also one of the most precious, though I doubt I let her know that as often as I should. Thank you, Dolly, for the inspiring and motivational words. It truly couldn’t have been said better.

    ReplyDelete