Friday, May 27, 2011

Kindness Is One Of the Great Blessings of Life

Our Friday Devotion comes to us from Council Member, Charlotte:

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law." Galatians 5:22-23

When I have the privilege of preparing devotionals in the Council rotation, I like to share those things that are found displayed in my own home, which bring me a feeling of comfort and peace as I have an opportunity to see them every day. What came to mind for this week's devotional was on the subject of "Kindness". I don't know what it is about the concept of kindness that seems to resonate with us (me and hopefully you also) as we get older. It's just one of those things that seems to give as much, if not more, pleasure to the one doing the kind act than the one receiving it. I've displayed for years in my guest bathroom a framed print which I can't even remember now where I got it, but I placed it here hoping that it would plant "the seed of kindness" for all who read it on their brief stay in there. It's entitled "Kindness Is One Of The Great Blessings Of Life", which is so true because I read "somewhere" that "Love is patient, Love is "Kind" 1 Corinthians 13:4 and that it is one of the nine Fruits of the Spirit Galatians 5:22.

"Kindness Is One Of The Great Blessings of Life"

Kindness builds bridges instead of walls.
Kindness finds ways to heal instead of hurt.
Kindness seeks ways to build up instead of tear down.
Kindness looks for ways to encourage instead of disappoint.

The eyes of kindness see others' needs;
the heart of kindness reaches out to touch
to help, and to support.

Kindness mellows hardness, bends stiffness,
warms coldness, and smooth’s roughness.
Kindness changes the disposition of the serpent
into the nature of a dove
and the judge into a minister of mercy.

As one reads this, it is as if physiological changes take place in the body and there is an actual softening of the heart, by just reading the mere words. For me, it paints the following pictures where "kindness" is the path we choose: (1) You build a bridge to let the other person know you are making a way for them to cross to meet you versus building a wall where no one can get to you; (2) You (or me) are being harsh and unkind to someone, not stopping to think that this can only bring hurt to that person and offer no healing touch, no matter what the situation; (3) You build someone up versus tear someone down; (4) You encourage someone rather than look for ways to be disappointed in them; (5) You see someone else's needs and not only think of your own needs. It's amazing what it can do for you to then free yourself to reach out to help and support another person; (6) Are any of these traits - hardness, stiffness, coldness, roughness, ones which appeal to you, or does acquiring a mellow, yielding, warm, and smooth spiriit seem more in line as to the kind of person you'd like to be? (7) Can you picture yourself as a serpent or a dove? (8) As you take the words of this plaque to heart, do you dispense out more judgmental or merciful attitute to those around you?

In my mind, being kind doesn't mean being a perfect person because we humans can't be perfect. Only He is perfect. But, we can all try to adopt in our daily lives not only "kindness", but all of the Fruits of the Spirit (love, joy, peace, patience, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control), so that the work that He has begun in us can be completed by His power, and not our own and for His glory. I think that we'll find that if we practice "kindness", the other eight fruits will just naturally flow. This was just some "food for thought" which I hope will help you in your daily Christian walk. Give it a try and be blessed.

Wishing you a very safe and blessed Memorial Day Weekend.
Charlotte

1 comment:

  1. When I think of "kindness" I think of Grace Harbor Church and the people who comprise the church body. I think of you, Char, when you took it upon yourself to snap pictures of Sam's and my baptism. No one asked you to do it, certainly not us, but because of your kindness, we now have a picture by which to remember the occasion. I think of Shirley, who hugged me so genuinely the first time I entered through the church doors. I think of Nakia, who enthusiastically invited me to go to the Women’s Retreat though I was brand new to the church, and I think of Lahoma, who has so kindly been a teacher, role model, and living example of what a woman after God’s heart should be. I think of Pastor Fred, who called me by name the second time he saw me. How kind of him to mark my name on his heart so that he would remember it after hearing it only once. I also think of how he made himself available on a Friday to conduct Sam’s and my marriage vow renewal service. How kind of you to lend your time on a day you didn’t have to be there. I think of Ray Beeman, who has shown me more kindness and encouragement than anyone else since I’ve been living in California. You are forever in my heart, Ray. I think of Emily Ballester, who quite literally radiates kindness and always makes an effort to smile my way and say “hi heather.” I think of Natalie, who added my sister’s name and spiritual well-being to her already long list of “to do’s” and “to take care of’s.” I think of Kim Caldwell, who reached out to me in kindness when I was still quite shy. I think of Sandi, who kindly offers to help people get in shape. I think of Michelle Severin, who reached out on Passion Friday to let me know she was touched by something I had to say. Michelle, I was so moved by what YOU had to say. When I think of kindness, I think of so many more that I haven’t even mentioned, but to the body of people who make up Grace Harbor – I think of you.

    Thank you, Char, for reminding us how important kindness is. It makes the Christian walk an extraordinary one, and I’m so blessed to be surrounded by so many kind people

    ReplyDelete