Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Followers of the Way

"However, I admit that I worship the God of our fathers as a follower of the Way, which they call a sect. I believe everything that agrees with the Law and that is written in the Prophets." Acts 24:14

Paul is so bold. Especially given that he is on trial when he says this. He is before Governor Felix, having been charged (trumped up charges by the way) with stirring up riots among Jews all over the world. Sounds exaggerated already huh? Given the opportunity to speak he gladly shares that such charges cannot be proven, verifiable by countless witnesses. Then he makes the statement that is our devotional. He testifies, brings testimony, literally, that he indeed a Christian. He could have let it go, but no, he seized the opportunity to point to Christ.

Let me try to put it in other words. We all should have in our arsenal of things to say, the simple truth of our faith. However .... uhhh since I have the floor I admit .... Without hesitation that I worship.... Regularly and often too the God of our fathers.... The only God as a follower of the Way... Jesus is the Way, the Truth and the Life. Which they call a sect.... Of Judaism I believe everything that agrees with the Law.... Not necessarily all the rabbinical law and that is written in the Prophets.... the truth that foretells the coming of the Messiah, Jesus See how bold he is? He tells the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

Let me ask a tough 2 pronged question. If you were on trial for being a Christian, could you testify what you believe? Or would there even be enough evidence to convict you? Does that question convict you? If you work on your testimony more, instead of your defense or excuses so much, maybe being on trial for your faith wouldn't be so scary. Court adjourned!!!
Actually, court is always in session and you should be ready to testify.

His witness and servant,
Pastor Fred

1 comment:

  1. You know, I've always wondered this. You asked if, as a Christian on trial, I could testify to what I believe. It's so easy to zealously say “yes, of course, I love the Lord with all my heart and would do anything for Him!” but then I remember how those who loved Jesus most abandoned Him and denied knowing Him at all - at least prior to His death. I have no doubt that in the past I’ve claimed to have an unwavering faith that could stand any trial, but I find lately, an intimate awareness of my own weaknesses and imperfections. I fear that that by answering the question you posed with a “yes, absolutely!” I would be guilty of pride, rather than genuinely certain of what I said. Many times in my life, I have followed pride, and the fall that always resulted was painful. I guess that perhaps the most honest answer I can give is this – I hope so. I really, really hope so.

    May the stack of evidence against me grow taller with each passing day. Thank you, Pastor, for a truly convicting message!

    ReplyDelete