Monday, June 13, 2011

Why Plans Fail

"Plans fail for lack of counsel, but with many advisers they succeed." Proverbs 15:22

If you know me well, you know that I have a profound respect and admiration for people who take counsel. Not only take it, but heed it. Whatever we plan to do, we are seldom hurt by getting counsel. Counsel, that is Godly advice, not the endorsement or approval of friends who want us to do whatever we want to do.

The first step in this Proverb would be to have a plan. Some of us run purely on spontaneity, reaction, and feelings, exclusively. Who needs advice, or would take it or need it, if that is your “motis operendi”? So, now if you plan (God has plans, we should adopt His), our plans should jive with His, if they don’t that would be an excellent signal to get counsel. If we don’t, we fail. Of course, if you are unwilling to get counsel, that may be a signal that you are also unwilling to hear that your plans are wrong or bad. Counsel infers getting more than one piece of advice, more than two if they conflict. Not too many, so you don’t bog down or get paralyzed about making decisions.

Let me list my 5 top reasons why I have not gotten counsel. 1) Are you kidding me? I can’t possibly talk to anybody about my bad plans, I know it’s bad. It’s embarrassing bad. Nobody will know my plan unless it blows up or something. 2) I don’t really trust others that much. 3) I don’t want to bother those I trust or have them know I need counsel. 4) I never took or needed counsel about procrastination. 5) I’m the Lone Ranger. Hi Ho Silver, away!!

I probably need more counsel, how about you? Realize you need it, take it, heed it. Success is just the Godly advice step away.

With hope for us all,
Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment