Thursday, August 1, 2013

Filled with Joy

"And the disciples were filled with joy and with the Holy Spirit." Acts 13:52

I have a lot to learn in a number of areas of my life. I can get a lot from this verse that applies to my life. Paul and Barnabas are about to be expelled from the region for preaching the gospel of transformation. It seems the local Jews incited the God-fearing women and the leading men in the community to stir up trouble and persecution against these early disciples. So what do they do? Do they run and hide? Do they cower in fear? Do they close up shop? Do they get depressed wondering why did they ever volunteer for this job in the first place? Noooooo.... Scripture says they shook the dust from their feet in protest and moved on to the next place. Wow. Impressive to me. Basically they shook themselves off and rejected the rejection and went forward. What excellent counsel for me and for us.

Too often when the going gets tough, the tough just keep taking it and taking it. Instead when the going gets tough, the tough should get going. We don't necessarily have to move out of town, but we do have to let go of the little battles in order to continue in the war. And, believers... remember, the war is not really amongst ourselves or against each other. More often it is the battle within; the battle for power or influence or retribution. When the petty power struggles of our lives weigh us down, whether they are within or without, we must shake them off in the name of the bigger picture. He wins the war. Focus on that. I have to. So many things that I can think are so important are not in the bigger picture.

When I am down after a bit of a thrashing and things aren't going my way, my Lord says to me..."Come on Fred, pick yourself up,(here, I'll even help you) shake yourself off. Take a deep breath (I just got one) and move on. After all, is God still on the throne? Does prayer still change things? Is Christ still our Lord? Is God awesome? YES!!!! In spite of our disappointments, losses, setbacks and failures, He is still on the throne, prayer changes things and the big game plan has not changed. So a few people oppose you or maybe Him. That is gonna happen. Can you hear me giving myself a little 'pep talk' today? The lesson for me today is that when I face change or disruption or surprises, I must not let it steal my joy or my power. As long as I stay focused on Him, I am going to be OK. I feel better just for sharing it with you. Whether it is personal stuff, or family stuff, or church stuff or whatever stuff. It is just stuff. Just a bump in the long road home. No turning back, no slowing down, no pity parties. Time to shake off anything and everything that has come our way and move on.

Just claiming his promise I have been filled with His Spirit and have joy again. I am emotionally worn out. I am exhausted from the battle and the concerns of recent days. But.... God is still God and He has a plan. I am part of it too. So.... as I always say (ought to listen to myself more often) Onward and upward.

In His Service,
Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment