Friday, January 3, 2014

Do not cling to old ways as you step into a "New Year."

Well, here we are, and it is a New Year indeed - 2014! Where did 2013 go, and if any of you had the same thoughts as I do, I'm thinking that last year seemed to have gone by really quickly. Since it is a new year, a new dawn and a new day, a good place to (always) start is God's Word on "any" subject.

The January 1st article from the devotional book that my husband and I read daily (Jesus Calling by Sarah Young) is worth sharing with you. For us, we already got rid of one "old way" and are starting off the new year reading the day's devotional "in the morning" before we start our day, as opposed to reading it at night when getting ready for bed, as has been our practice.

Rather than try and paraphrase it, because I might not do it justice, I've decided to just quote what I found to be the five most important points of the author's teachings inspired from God's word. #1: "Come to me with a teachable spirit, eager to be changed". It's true that none of us will experience change unless we are ready to change. God can't change us unless we cry out to him and ask for His help to do so.

#2: "Do not cling to old ways as you step into a new year." It goes without saying that if we continue to do the same old things, expecting a different result, change will not happen. If "Plan A" doesn't work, then it might be a good idea to try "Plan B", and if that doesn't work, then perhaps move on to "Plan C". Easier said than done, maybe, because we all get caught in our comfort zones of the familiar, but that's what "new" means - to try something different.

#3: "Seek My face with an open mind, knowing that your journey with Me involves being transformed by the renewing of your mind." Romans 12:2 says " Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. THEN (and only then - my editorial comment) you will be able to test and approve what God's will is - His good, pleasing, and PERFECT will. " I can't say it better than God said it. He knows and we don't, so we should trust Him, huh?

#4: "I know and understand you completely. Jeremiah 29:11 says: "For I KNOW the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you HOPE and a FUTURE." Who else knows us like this and can fulfill these promises? I know of no one but Him.

#5: "My thoughts embrace you in everlasting Love." God is Love, and all of His word says so.

If you were maybe thinking of making "New Year's Resolutions", but didn't do so because you weren't sure of know how to get started, I pray that God's wisdom shared in this devotional will assist you in some small way in the process. Wishing all of you a "New" Year 2014 filled with happiness, hope, peace, joy, and love.

In Him,
Charlotte Adams

No comments:

Post a Comment