Monday, January 20, 2014

Men or God Pleasers

"We are not trying to please men but God, who tests our hearts." 1Thessalonians 2:4b

Early Christians were met with a considerable more opposition than any of us will ever face. Families were torn apart by early believers abandoning idol worship, or Judaism, or no religion at all. That still happens today, but in the past there were more societal and cultural dues to pay for such big changes in one's core beliefs. Today, tolerance reigns supreme for good and bad. And... most people who convert nowadays, either never take it seriously enough to cause any real ripples, or their conversions are lackluster in commitment so as to go virtually unnoticed by friends and family.

People don't talk about salvation or redemption much. Just about going to church or getting closer to the Lord. What about full out commitment to the Living God? What about changing the world for Christ? When I was younger I truly believed that I was immediately on a mission to spread the gospel to everybody. I still feel that way. After a day when almost every football game I watched or heard about went my way, I really only care in this moment about how effective the message in church was today and whether it touched souls for eternity.

I wholeheartedly agree that we should strive to please God and not men. I too though often worry about being a "man pleaser". I fall into it in a subtle way. Not so much with unbelievers or non-believers, but with fellow brothers and sisters. I too often "man please" by putting too much emphasis on keeping the peace over promoting His principles. I, of course, like you am not always right, but should share my viewpoint more passionately. I tend to let things go and let things ride way too often. Especially when I know that God is not pleased with something.

I challenge me and you to concern yourself more with pleasing God than pleasing men. It is too easy to go along with almost everything even when you have strong convictions to the contrary. I probably am too concerned about being liked, or being a peacemaker, or placating people who don't like to hear other opinions. I am going to make that an agenda item for my spirit. To add my voice to more conversations. To more often say what I really think and feel. I hope this pleases God. I believe it will. I know I have been pleasing man too much. Enough of that, and more of this.

In His Service with you,
Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment