Monday, May 19, 2014

God's Children

"They brought the boy to Eli, and she said to him, ‘As surely as you live, my lord, I am the woman who stood here beside you praying to the Lord. I prayed for this child, and the Lord has granted me what I asked of Him. So Now I give him to the Lord. For his whole life he will be given over to the Lord.’ And he worshiped the Lord there." 1 Samuel 1:25b-28

Let’s begin with a few notes. The Parents are Elkanah and Hannah, Eli is the priest and very young Samuel is the child. Hannah tells Eli basically, “Remember some years back when I prayed with you for a baby? This is him.” Then she dedicates him to the Lord, and to the service of the Lord. This reminds me of two things. One, how grateful my mother was that I survived a near death experience at age five. One of my earliest memories is seeing the pastor of Brown St. Baptist Church comforting my crying mother as I was wheeled away to emergency surgery. She has mentioned more than once what a gift I have been and how my life of service to the Lord makes sense. The other thing this reminds me of is how many recent births and pregnancies I know of from people who prayed so hard and God granted them what they prayed for. Through difficulty, waiting, doubt, hopelessness and faithfulness, patience, blessing and miracles, God has brought answers to years of prayers. I am currently praying for two couples who are infertile for God to bless them too. What an amazing blessing a baby is. Few experiences compare. We were infertile for ten years and then miraculously able to adopt. However they come, they are definitely from God. So we should dedicate them to the Lord. After all, they are not ours, they are His. We cannot have them or get them without Him. I pray that you will express your gratefulness to God for His children, however you got them and however long it took, or even if you are still waiting. We believers in particular need to remember that we are His children, each one of us. Hannah remembered her prayer and to follow through on her vow to dedicate Samuel. All glory to God for His children and the blessing of having them in our lives which all belong to Him.

I am one of His children,
Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment