Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Save Me!

"Save me O God, for the waters have come up to my neck." Psalm 69:1

In Psalms, sometimes there is a note at the beginning that gives a couple of informative notes about the chapter. This one is written for the director of music which means it was to be used for worship. It also says David wrote it and that it could be sung to another tune David had written entitled, “Lilies”.

Please know that Psalms is originally written in Hebrew, which means the work “neck” might be lovelier. As the final word of the opening line of a song that is to be sung to the tune named “Lilies”, neck seems like a heck of a word to rhyme. Also, beauty in music is in the ears of the beholder and certainly not trapped in my English translation. Besides that, it seemed to me in principle that the words “save me” might be more about time at “chest deep” and rising. But, oh how we seem to need to be “neck deep” before we consider help. (Just an observation from a poor swimmer who needs to have his feet on the bottom in order not to panic.)

My “neck deep” waters, like yours, are not exclusively fluid. I too, can get “neck deep” in a bunch of different stuff, most of it my own choosing. Rarely have I been thrown in over my head. I generally keep wading in by choice. Here is the most important point today. However you get there and hopefully before you are “neck deep” in whatever, the sooner we say, “Save Me!” to God and follow directions, the sooner we will be o.k. I would love to hear the song “Lilies” with these words.

Thank you for saving me O God and for continuing to save me,
Pastor Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment