Thursday, January 12, 2012

God Is In Our Temple

"The Lord said to him: 'I have heard the prayer and plea you have made before me; I have consecrated this temple, which you have built, by putting my Name there forever. My eyes and my heart will always be there." i Kings 9:3

As I read this passage this morning which immediately follows the completion of the temple of the Lord it came to me that this would be the exact same prayer that God would pray over us. Why do I think that?

Well, God lived in the temple that Solomon built, until everything changed after Jesus came and replaced that temple with a personal relationship, God now lives in the temples our hearts. The New Testament reminds us that He no longer lives in temples made by hands, but in our hearts. So when we read the prayer again, we can make some beautiful correlations and be refreshed with some fresh perspective.

He indeed hears our prayers and pleas for help and salvation and has saved us, that is the consecration. We built that relationship with Him by deciding to invite Him to come live in our hearts as our personal Savior. He puts His seal on us forever and nothing can remove us from Him. He promises to be our Savior forever. Now my favorite part. His eyes and His heart will always be there.

He never stops caring, He never stops watching over us. There is a constancy that we can rely on when Christ lives in our hearts. Think about this today as you consider or even struggle with your daily duties. God is in you. As sure as He dwelt in Solomon's temple that he built for God, He lives in your heart which you have invited Him into to stay. This gives me great comfort. I know that He loves me and I know that He cares, but I must also remember that He lives in me. I know that I have a place to come with other believers that is called Grace Harbor Church (or wherever you fellowship) but that is not where He dwells. He dwells in the heart of every believer. When we gather as a church, we are in effect just a gathering of a group of temples and celebrating, learning and working together.

So, be encouraged this day, He is with you, He is in you. He hears us, consecrates us and then what should bless us the most is the fact that His eyes and His heart will always be there. He never takes His eyes off us. We are in His heart and He is in ours. As you live this day, think about just how wonderful it is the intimate relationship we have with the Lord. Enjoy being His temple and take care of it as you become a more and more effective vessel for His indwelling. May the Lord bless you with the deepest understanding of His Word as you seek to find and do His will.

In Him,
Pastor Fred

1 comment:

  1. What a comforting message today. I found my eyes watering as I read - "Think about this today as you consider or even struggle with your daily duties. God is in you." As I, like so many others, battle the fatigue and illnesses of the season and struggle to accomplish all of the day's tasks, I took great comfort in the reminder that He is RIGHT HERE. It was just what I needed at this very moment. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete